Painted my stand to black. I like the looks of it.

project1004

Supporting
Reaction score
I have custom made oak stand that I have my 120 gallon on. This stand is 43" tall which gives me a lots of work room under. Lately I been thinking about painting it black. Like last week, I finally decided to go ahead. I had some black paint laying around so I went to wal-mart and got it shaken up. This paint was odor-less which was great.

Thought I share.

2lldo9j.jpg
alt="" />

wiuk2d.jpg
alt="" />

14m3rxj.jpg
alt="" />

My next project is to move this tank to the longer wall where mirror is at the moment. I ran out of space and I am adding calcium reactor. Only way to add it to current location is to drill a hole into my laundry room so it is no brainer.

15hloic.jpg
alt="" />

258ymv6.jpg
alt="" />

nvoco3.jpg
alt="" />

AND, will paint the back glass black. Shoulda done it when setting up the tank.
Updates will follow.

29pt752.jpg
alt="" />

I have a stand I am painting black it is made of steel yours looks nice great job.who makes your sump ?

Bgcoop8784;964272 wrote: Looks nice, I always paint my stands black...but I have seen a few custom stands on here that I love the wood look. Black stands just seem to make the aquarium really stand out.

I am really happy how it turned out. The black color matches with rest of my furnitures as well. It looks clean and looks modern too. :)

Camellia;964266 wrote: Very nice!
You could also use the black window film if you don't want to paint it.

I just happen to run out of those black opaque films for windows from home depot. And I still have much of those black paints left. I think black back ground will give color to pop and them wires will be hidden. hehehe

paul692;964263 wrote: I have a stand I am painting black it is made of steel yours looks nice great job.who makes your sump ?

Those are two pre-made acrylic sumps daisy connected by drilling a holes. It has two purpose to the system. 1. as refugium as you see. 2. and as qt tank when I get a new fish in. Well that was a idea anyways. Never used it yet. lol

Since you have a rim on your tank you could just Velcro some black foam board behind the tank. Worked and looks perfect on my 90g

So, on Sunday morning I started the next phase of moving the tank.

nz376d.jpg
alt="" />

Draining the water from the display with MAG

seypw9.jpg
alt="" />

30uzfqx.jpg
alt="" />

Say good bye to my aquascape. I really like how it looked. :(

a1xh.jpg
alt="" />

Draining the sump with Maxijet

2j0ku82.jpg
alt="" />

Using a pieces of cardboard to use as slider

8xr2hg.jpg
alt="" />

Decieded to remove the part of the sump to make room for ATO reservoir. Used acrylic glue to block the holes.

t7g9w6.jpg
alt="" />

Tank in its new spot getting filled back

eb3mog.jpg
alt="" />

New lay out of the sump.

2q3581x.jpg
alt="" />

And final product. Still need to re-aquascape and paint the back wall.
mht0p.jpg
alt="" />

But because the wall paint, I just might not need to... still thinking
I hope ya'll enjoyed it as much as I did... :)

21m9t6x.jpg
alt="" />

If you are going to cover the back and you have room for a small roller to fit between the tank and wall I would paint the back. I would get a roll of paper from Homedepot tape it to the wall and paint the back of the tank. I would tape paper in a much larger footprint than the tank size, like 1 or two feet larger on all sides. This will keep your wall from getting ruined. They make small rollers that have handles 2' long. Homedepot may not have them but a paint store probably will and the ACE by my house does too.

I don't like anything on the back of my tanks except paint.

fishtank;965275 wrote: looking good! I like the black and the new spot.

Thank you. I now get to enjoy it from all three side and also nice to glance over while watching the world cup and see the whole front side instead of side of the tank.

russ;965233 wrote: If you are going to cover the back and you have room for a small roller to fit between the tank and wall I would paint the back. I would get a roll of paper from Homedepot tape it to the wall and paint the back of the tank. I would tape paper in a much larger footprint than the tank size, like 1 or two feet larger on all sides. This will keep your wall from getting ruined. They make small rollers that have handles 2' long. Homedepot may not have them but a paint store probably will and the ACE by my house does too.

I don't like anything on the back of my tanks except paint.

Ya, since the tank is now facing forward I was able to leave about 4" of space from the wall without looking overly awkward. And like you mentioned I got a little bitty rollers from wal-mart last time I will be using. The idea of putting the paper on the wall is really good idea. Thank you.

Good luck. This week I moved my tank a couple inches from the wall too. I had it as close as I could, but I want to be able to clean behind it.

I'm sure the paper will help. I have done that before and tried not to get paint on the paper. I always failed.

I'm surprised no one ask yet about the weight of the tank on It's new location, weight distribution under the new location (hooves, parallel or not?) Tank level on the new spot, all those things to consider and should never be forget on setting tanks, I'm pretty sure you will say everything is been covered :)

That is one slick looking tank, I've thought about doing bare bottom on my new 65 RR and this might have just sealed the deal. What's it like to clean the bottom panel of glass?

Sidvicious! That's a great user name.

I should change mine to Johnny Lydon(Rotten).

I am inspired to have a flashback "Never mind the Bullocks" moment at some point.

Sidvicious;965453 wrote: That is one slick looking tank, I've thought about doing bare bottom on my new 65 RR and this might have just sealed the deal. What's it like to clean the bottom panel of glass?

I use to have 65 gallon reef. I really enjoyed it. :)
I dont do much cleaning because it's 24" tall. I can barely get my hands to touch the bottom. I just syphon the detritus that accumulates in the corner when I do a water changes. But most of the time I vacuum the sump with wet vac from home depot. Even thought it is bare bottom, there is always detritus. I don't know where it's coming from. LOL I dont run any filter socks or sponge. I dont run GFO or canbon either.

joseayes;965451 wrote: I'm surprised no one ask yet about the weight of the tank on It's new location, weight distribution under the new location (hooves, parallel or not?) Tank level on the new spot, all those things to consider and should never be forget on setting tanks, I'm pretty sure you will say everything is been covered :)

My floor is made of concrete. I live on the 3rd floor of condo and never had problem with leveling the tank or adjusting to hold the weight. I did have little bit of calculation for the light fixture on the ceiling but wasn't too bad.

Back