Painting back of tank...questions.

cjsparky

Market
Reaction score
OK so my tank is in place. I had a plastic background taped on to the tank, but it made magfloating the back of the tank a chore, and when water splashed, it would get between the plastic and glass...unsightly! I know that Krylon is the suggested method, but there is no room behind the tank to do that. There IS room however to fit a low profile roller, and roll paint onto the back. IS there a paint that can be rolled on that needs no primer, will stick to glass, and give me the colored background effect like I sprayed it on?

CJ

Ive rolled 2 of 3 tanks in the past. I used a flat black paint and laid it on in stages. You have to apply many thin layers to keep it from sliding down the glass. Comes off easily with a razor blade.

Gnashty, Did you use a plain old Acryllic? Water based? Oil based? What brand would you reccommend if I went to HD. I am assuming a flat black wall paint wouldnt really work too well. I was also interested in at least a semi-gloss so my mag-float would still work on the back glass...thoughts?

CJ

Edit: Thoughts on this?

http://www.krylon.com/products/color_creations_acrylic_latex_enamel/

CJ

Latex is what I used I think, I really cant remember honestly. Whatever you use I dont think its a good idea to uses the mag float on it. You will be able to peel it off with a fingernail.

Water based is widely recommended but when I was researching I believe many use laytex based as well without problems

latex is water based You can get rust olem in the quart size and a snall roller The ro is thicker a little easier to deal with than the others

grouper therapy;737973 wrote: latex is water based You can get rust olem in the quart size and a snall roller The ro is thicker a little easier to deal with than the others

I used the rustoleum and a small roller... Three coats did the trick. In two years I have never had to clean the back of my tank. YMMV

Since his tank is already up and running are there concerns about the fumes messing with the chemistry???? Just curious because that is ONE MORE STEP I knew nothing about when I set my tank up. LOL Funny how you find all of your mistakes after the fact.

Ok I have a suggestion. I used black tint on the back of my tank and it looks awesome. Depending, I still have enough for a 75 or smaller if you want.

Thanks for the offer!!! Already put on the first coat. Looking splotchy, but I am sure after several coats it will be looking ok!

CJ

@ JimKnutson

Do you have a picture of your tank with the tint film on it. I've thought about doing this in the past, but wasn't sure how it would look.

I used black vinyl. The type they put on cars as decals. It went on like putting screen protector on a phone.

I used flat black Rust-Oleum enamel paint and it worked well. I had the same situation. I used a low profile roller and probably had to do two coats, then another touch up where I could see light coming through. I haven't moved the tank so I'm not sure if any dripped :wow2:

Back