Painting the back of the aquarium questions

merkywater

Market
Reaction score
If I paint the back glass panel will there be a way to remove it if need be? Like with a razor blade.?

merkywater;608181 wrote: If I paint the back glass panel will there be a way to remove it if need be? Like with a razor blade.?

dont paint it, use the black window privacy film that you get at home depot..

It will stick to the glass and you can take it off in less than a second down the road..

unless of course you want blue.. then you're probably gonna have to paint it..

It's not as dark. It would take less that 5 minutes to use a scraper to remove it.....

Rbredding;608284 wrote: dont paint it, use the black window privacy film that you get at home depot..

It will stick to the glass and you can take it off in less than a second down the road..

unless of course you want blue.. then you're probably gonna have to paint it..

? what do you mean that it's not as dark?

the privacy film that I got was an opaque black film.. black, black.. not window tint black..

I can pull the back tint off my tank in the kitchen without moving it (and it's 4" from the wall)

Rbredding;608300 wrote: ? what do you mean that it's not as dark?

the privacy film that I got was an opaque black film.. black, black.. not window tint black..

I can pull the back tint off my tank in the kitchen without moving it (and it's 4" from the wall)

Doesn't that mean that it's easier to accidentally remove though?

I've never seen what you're talking about. Having said that, Krylon is very easy to remove. My fear with a "stick on" is that it would allow some water behind it. The second that happpens, you have to peel the whole thing off, clean the glass and the film just to reapply.

go to home depot and it's in the "blinds/window treatments" area..

made by a company called GILA, it's in a purple/white box, comes in widths of 36" & 24" ..

it uses static cling to adhere itself... (not sure what the plastic is)
it took me about 6 minutes to put on my tank (never moved it away from the wall)
and it cost $15

Rbredding;608313 wrote: go to home depot and it's in the "blinds/window treatments" area..

made by a company called GILA, it's in a purple/white box, comes in widths of 36" & 24" ..

it uses static cling to adhere itself... (not sure what the plastic is)
it took me about 6 minutes to put on my tank (never moved it away from the wall)
and it cost $15

Sounds like what I will have to try... Tank was so heavy and no one to help move now I have it on the stand... plus one side is starfire so didn't really want to paint it so I think I will try this window treatment....

Thanks everyone!

My first tank wasnt painted but I have painted the back of all my others and will continue to do so. I was not aware of the static options so that may be a better option if you arent sure.

If you do go with painting the back use krylon fusion. It is mainly advertised as paint that bonds to plastic without the need for primer. However I got to reading on the back of the can what other general purpose use it was for and it worked great.

I used just the regular krylon paint previous to this and had a few touch up spots and had to lay multiple coats down. with the fusion the stuff went on like butter. I waited 5 minutes after my first "light" coat and went back at it and it looked very professional after

Sorry for the delay....I actually went with Rbredding's idea and used the window privacy tint...minus a few tiny bubbles it looks just fine! After doing one side I did another and left the wax paper on it makes it non-transparent and was much easier to size up. It took me like 15mins to do first side and after I learned the trick it took like 5 mins on the other....Thanks for the idea Rbredding!

FWIW I do not for see it falling off but is easy to take off...I actually taped the corners just in case.

Back