Painting the Plastic framing of an aquarium.

mc524

Market
Reaction score
The 135 I bought, had the hideous IMO brown wood grain finish. I have sanded all of that off the top frame so far. To match the frame work in the basement, I plan to paint the framing of the tank White, as well as the Stand. I bought some Rustoleum Plastic Paint from HD. I also bought a can of Primer as well. I wanted to experiment with both. The Paint is Semi-Gloss, and as with Primers, it is a Flat white. So, last night I painted one end with the Primer, and the other end with just the Paint. I let it cure over night. Now I am a bit torn between the finish. I know the Semi will be easier to dust and wipe down. However, the flat kind of puts a nice touch on the framing.

Just wondering for those that have done this...what finish did you end up sticking with?

I have to say this...it is amazing how much of a beating these frames take. As I sanded off the wood grain stuff finish...there were scratches, dings along the outside and top of the framing. I was able to sand them out, so should look all new once I'm finished. I should have the framing done this weekend...at least the top. I still have to sand the bottom. I will likely flip the tank upside down today so that I can get sanding on the bottom prior to painting the top as to not scratch it all up.
I am not too concerned with the bottom framing, as I plan to frame it in with wood attached to the stand.

Rustoleum told HD to remove the kylon or they would leave but have used both. i like the kylon better for the plastic and i was told that walmart sells it.

do they not offer the color in a flat?

I did the same thing on my tank and used Krylon Fusion in a flat or semi glass...cant remember. Loved the way it turned out. Wished I would have went with the gloss to match the stand.

Back