Paly toxins

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
I just want to get peoples opinion before I do something potentially stupid. I have a to. Of palys growing on my front glass, they look like pink and golds/pandora palys. I want them gone! I occasionally scrap some off with my flipper but I’m thinking about gloving up and taking them all off with the razor but I worry about any toxins released. Should I worry about my tank livestock or members of my household? I don’t want to risk anyone in my houses’ life or my tank if removing them will be a problem.

I recently got rid of a bunch on 3 different rocks in my tank. I removed the rocks, soaked them in freshwater and then went to work with a pair of fragging shears. If you can get under their foot, they come off pretty easily. The only precautions I took were making sure I didn't have any cuts and I wore gloves. If you want to do it in tank, I assume the fragging shears would work just as well but I'd run fresh carbon through the system once you're done. I've used a toothbrush in the past and that makes a big mess. At the time I did it in the tank, added 2 cups of fresh carbon and nothing was harmed at all.

I'd also like to point out that they probably aren't the super toxic one's either. I've always assumed that all palys have some low level toxicity to them and acted accordingly. I make no promises to your safety but if it were my tank, I'd start with a smaller patch and see how it goes.

They’re actually on the glass so they do come off with our much of a mess luckily. I just don’t want to piss them off to release anything.

Below is a link to a document specifying how to decontaminate palytoxin, among other toxins.
I also found a link stating that activated carbon may completely adsorb the toxin, however may or may not be effective in a tank due to the many variables involved.
As I recall, household exposure occurred after someone poured boiling water on zoas in an attempt to kill them/clean off some rocks, which vaporized the toxin.
Washing hands with soap & water after exposure/handling is a good idea.

https://www.uab.cat/doc/toxin_deactivation

Wear gloves, make sure you don't have any cuts on your hands and take you time. As long as you don't do a ton of damage removing them the tank should be fine. Run some extra carbon as a precaution.

Not so sure flushing them or pouring them down the drain is a good idea. I'd bag them up in ziploc's and treat as with any other hazardous material.

I was poisoned by mine one time. My hand rushed across them lightly as I was reaching for another Coral. That's it. I did not pick it up I did not squeeze it or anything else. Later about 2 or 3 hours I decided to grab a few potato chips from a bag I had in my room. Within 30 minutes I have full-blown bronchitis symptoms. Medicine would not help and I almost had to go to the emergency room. I was wheezing and gasping for air and even though I can feel my lungs filling up they were not absorbing any. I would get rid of them if I were you. And be very cautious with the ones you decide to keep

Yes be very concerned of your tank livestock!
Sorry I have got to run I am late ... will check back on this thread.
But, It will BLIND your fish if poisonous, kill, burn, damage any coral with tentacles out if poisonous...

If you take anything out of the tank be sure to wear eye protection. I was working on a rock and had one squirt when cut which sprayed my eyes. I flushed and was fine, but not cool.

Back