Palythoa Poison killing my Corals?!?

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
Late yesterday I took a razor blade and removed a colony of aggressive Zoas/Poly's (inside the tank) that I didn't want. Unfortunately a substantial amount of slime was released. Much more slime with these poly's than anything I've owned!
I netted out everything that was of substantial size. Replenished fresh carbon, GFO, filter socks, poly filter and filter floss. I feed heavy and skim heavy due to an enormous amount of sun coral that have spawned multiple times throughout the years.
When I left last evening the lights were out. I returned today at 4:30 PM to discover my reef in dire distress! Only the LPS corals are suffering, all SPS look nornal! The fish & inverts are fine and ate well.

Apex does not show any swings, I've tested KH, CA, Mg No3, PO4 and salinity. All parameters are with in acceptable ranges!! I am totally baffled stumped and looking for suggestions, ideas...

I'm going to try to dip the chalice, Acans, but don't know what to do about my large 10 Fathead Dendro, and hundreds of Sun Corals? and other LPS.
Anyone believe it could be Poly poison?
All feedback appreciated!!

ABB37BF7-EBAD-4E4B-A092-7EB260CAEFB5_zps0o05cl9d.jpg
alt="" />
B3FFA4AD-B2ED-4094-8992-80C7DC3E537A_zpsaqpwuhub.jpg
alt="" />

32480241-A798-47CF-B61A-FC4570632204_zpsrdjckl8f.jpg
alt="" />
104ACF2E-48B6-4458-8749-11C1B5B8A211_zpsria1iwyh.jpg
alt="" />
594CEF6C-6B37-43CB-96DF-2BF29AA3D68C_zpsnyvmz1of.jpg
alt="" />

ECB36747-6DF7-4EF8-8ED9-91250C68C036_zpsythhkrnx.jpg
alt="" />

B7EA2555-2F61-4104-B374-6CDB2B2FF937_zpswjhxbtgu.jpg
alt="" />
F3973B8D-4EFB-4C1D-BE54-DEADDDAB6A9D_zpszmn96jm2.jpg
alt="" />[/QUOTE]
MANY MANY MORE AFFECTED!

It could have started the toxin war, then just a domino effect after that.

My yellow tang "Princess" is in real trouble! It's eyeballs are popping out!!

I added Prime, fed with Coral frenzy and Red Sea A & B

Now, my Rock flower Anemone is spawning, not the one that spawned a few months ago but the other one!

I would set up a small tank for temp tank and move the live stock there+ big water change +carbon

Wow...u may be right....I wouldn't dip them...but a large WC and carbon may be wise.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

You need to do the biggest water change you can ASAP I wish I was closer to lend a hand. Please keep us updated deb

could be, i believe a similar thing happened to me the other day when i made several frags of hollywood stunner inside the tank. it always slimes up big time

Yes, lots of carbon. Sorry so late getting back on reply I did not get e-mail noifications. Run carbon through a media reactor or a cannister filter.

if it is actually palytoxin, i would be concerned about your own health too.....so keep that in mind as well. it sounds like if its in the water that it can evap off the water column and make you sick. I base this on the fact that people have nearly died from boiling rock that has paly in it.....Obviously boiling it would get it into the air faster, but I would imagine it could still evap at some rate from normal gas exchange/evap

I found someone else who had similar problem as you, though it appears you may have it worse off because you cut them off in the tank right?

showthread.php

Hopefully you got the help you needed Debbie. Wasn't really the forums much over the weekend myself. And also remember you can always call us even after hours. All of our calls after hours get forwarded to a 24 hour emergency line.

Jakub

Hopefully you got the help you needed Debbie. Wasn't really the forums much over the weekend myself. And also remember you can always call us even after hours. All of our calls after hours get forwarded to a 24 hour emergency line.

Jakub[/QUOTE]

Wow Kakub,
I had no idea you did after hours for emergency!! I would've called you in a friggin heartbeat!
Major BUMMER!
Yes, my WONDERFUL reef friends (Christina & Jay) brought and helped me. We worked & they were hear past midnight. Thank you both SO VERY much!!!

My most painful loss, my Yellow Tang "Princes". She's still alive, I moved her this morning to a hospital tank but life looks bleak
B11E2316-8956-4E60-8116-0A94BC2C4A25_zpssz9dsrjy.jpg
alt="" />

Last nigh we did WC, filled the 40, moved many of the spewing mad toxin spitting corals into the 40.
The 75 starting looking better then and the rock flower Nems finally stopped spitting their guts out shortly after moving the others.

Today my favorites, Sun corals & Fathead Dendros still look the same, about dead!

Thanks for the info and concern, with my ongoing medical condition I am going to take you up on taking over my tank. Physically doing me much more harm than good!
I will talk to you or your wonderful staff tomorrow.
Thanks darlin'

Camellia;1087848 wrote: Hopefully you got the help you needed Debbie. Wasn't really the forums much over the weekend myself. And also remember you can always call us even after hours. All of our calls after hours get forwarded to a 24 hour emergency line.

Jakub

Wow Kakub,
I had no idea you did after hours for emergency!! I would've called you in a friggin heartbeat!
Major BUMMER!
Yes, my WONDERFUL reef friends (Christina & Jay) brought and helped me. We worked & they were hear past midnight. Thank you both SO VERY much!!!

My most painful loss, my Yellow Tang "Princes". She's still alive, I moved her this morning to a hospital tank but life looks bleak
B11E2316-8956-4E60-8116-0A94BC2C4A25_zpssz9dsrjy.jpg
alt="" />

Last nigh we did WC, filled the 40, moved many of the spewing mad toxin spitting corals into the 40.
The 75 starting looking better then and the rock flower Nems finally stopped spitting their guts out shortly after moving the others.

Today my favorites, Sun corals & Fathead Dendros still look the same, about dead!

Thanks for the info and concern, with my ongoing medical condition I am going to take you up on taking over my tank. Physically doing me much more harm than good!
I will talk to you or your wonderful staff tomorrow.
Thanks darlin'[/QUOTE]

Man oh man.... I hope she pulls through!

She looks so pitiful!! I really hope everything pulls through!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back