Panorama LED Retrofit (Nova Extreme Fixture)

rbredding

Market
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of these retrofits (including one highlighted in Reef Hobbyist Magazine a couple issues ago that retrofitted a Biocube Hood).

I thought I'd post mine as well:

I had a Nova Extreme 4 bulb T5 Fixture that I couldn't get a ballast replacement to work in (still not sure why) so I thought that I would use it...

I took the fixture and gutted everything out of it (except the cooling fan because it was a stand alone setup with its own cord, you can never really have too much cooling on a light fixture IMO)

After taking out the "innards" I used the screws/washers that were holding the old equipment in to secure the new Panoramas. Worked perfectly and after a single zip tie to hold the cords, I was pretty much done. It took less time to put the new fixtures in than it did to remove the previous T5 equipment.

if you look in the tank shot, you'll see two rectangles on the left side, that's where the switches were, I'll probably cut the lines on the panoramas another day and set them up through the switches (removed and saved)

It was pretty simple.. The color is good, but I think I'd still like to add more to it (another panorama fixture or possibly a stunner since it's protected by the sliding lens)

I miss not having the LED nightlights, so I'll probably end up adding one later..
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
624273=29583-Panorama 326.jpg
>
624273=29583-Panorama 326.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Panorama 326.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
624273=29585-Panorama 328.jpg
>
624273=29585-Panorama 328.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Panorama 328.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
624273=29584-Panorama 330.jpg
>
624273=29584-Panorama 330.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Panorama 330.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
624273=29586-Panorama 332.jpg
>
624273=29586-Panorama 332.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Panorama 332.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
624273=29587-Panorama 334.jpg
>
624273=29587-Panorama 334.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Panorama 334.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
624273=29588-Panorama 342 .jpg
>
624273=29588-Panorama 342 .jpg
class="gc-images" title="Panorama 342 .jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Very nice and clean retro.

I used 2 of these inside the hood of my 14g BC. I just gutted the old lights(leaving the fans like you did with the Nova) and then attached a piece of acrylic to the old posts that the reflectors were attached to and then just attached the Panorama to the acrylic. I ran the wiring and cords through the stock holes in the hood, so it came out really clean.

thanks!

I'm going to eventually change all my systems over to LED/more efficient pumps..

the electrical bill isn't killing us by any stretch of the imagination, but why spend the money if we don't have to.. (plus, electricity is only going to get more expensive)

I reinsalled the reflector behind the one I use on my 5.5 gallon to help maximize the light going into the tank.

UPDATE...

I added the other two fixtures that I purchased... and WOW... I'll try to get a par meter and give y'all some measurements.. but it appears every bit as bright as the 4 bulb Nova Extreme did when I was running T5s..

VERY HAPPY with the results of these panorama fixtures..

Really cool, I like that idea. Even better if you can squeeze another 2 in there.

Did you check the par reading yet? I'm curious how it compares to your old fixture.

Amici;636886 wrote: I bringing my par meter with me this weekend to Alpharetta so Hanin can test out the 50w chips. If I have time you can borrow it as well.

I wish i was close enough to test my bulb out : (

Dad'gummit Charlie.....why couldn't you bring it a weekend other than Easter. Wife dragging me to the in-laws or I'd love to test the 4 Panoramas over my 25 cube. Was going AI but controllers on backorder for an unknown timespan.

That looks great man. I like the idea a lot, I have a old coralife pc fixture I may gut and give that a try. Very cool thread.

insane_reef_keeper;639294 wrote: That looks great man. I like the idea a lot, I have a old coralife pc fixture I may gut and give that a try. Very cool thread.
I'll update the picture..

I've got 4 of them in there now.. (love it on this tank)

you could put just about any softies in there (par is somewhere around 50-80 on the sandbed, mid 100's in the middle of the tank) some low light monti's, blastos, acans, etc..

it's on a fish only setup though, for me..

Back