Par monitoring kit from Neptune

Great find Antonio! Neptune is moving so fast on new products it's hard to keep up. It's pricy but, wow that would be really aventagious to have in our systems. Here is the link to the product information.

a>

Yes, it's obviously they want to cover everything that it can be controllable in a reef tank, was reading at the questions from the media where Neptune's representative responds the benefits of keep tracking from time to time in PAR readings, it will be great I believe (MH and T5 users) to go replacing bulbs based on par reading instead of calculated age from bulbs, jmho

It wouldn't be bad it we could be at the wireless stage of par readings
I'm on the side where if it's something you can hide from sight and is not natural look and it's not appealing... it's time to remove it, well, I'll leave the vortechs alone :)

joseayes;1039900 wrote: Yes, it's obviously they want to cover everything that it can be controllable in a reef tank, was reading at the questions from the media where Neptune's representative responds the benefits of keep tracking from time to time in PAR readings, it will be great I believe (MH and T5 users) to go replacing bulbs based on par reading instead of calculated age from bulbs, jmho

Great point! That could be a big money saver for those users. I think it would really help in determining the right positioning of sensitive corals like chalices or leptos. It's also going to really amp up the debate on lighting.

I think this is awesome. At the very least, this would be great (if you can hide the wire) for anyone using MH or T5 like Jose said. To be able to see exactly when your par readings drop below an acceptable range (to you).

It could also be useful for anyone with tank covers or light covers - knowing when salt creep needs to be cleaned off because PAR is dropping.

I don't really see a purpose other than these two scenarios though. If i'm trying to dial in my LEDs or trying to decide where to put a specific coral, the PAR number doesn't need to be monitored continuously and I can buy a PAR meter for half this price for the instances where I want to spot check parts of my tank.

Yeah I can put this rock in my tank to monitor par. Until it gets covered in algae. And what is the point of having your controller monitor it?

Ill save $100+ and just get a PAR meter.

All the equipment, the whole equipment needs maintenance at certain point, I'm not defending the use of this or that or even trying to justify the price, but I have seen neglected maintenance makes expensive items go to the thrash, I've cleaned pumps, impellers, pump cases, heaters, and the list could continue, in my personal experience I'll try to keep it at least clean

There is a difference between cleaning pumps and heaters once or twice a year and having to whip off the sensor every single day.

Not to mention your PAR is different at every point in your tank.

Sorry I just dont see a point to this.

Yep, I don't think this one was thought through very well... I would imagine that weekly cleaning would be required. I can't imagine having to scrape coralline off the sensor.

Seems to me that the sensor would be better suited on top of the tank below the lights. Because you can only sense light at one particular spot, it is all relative.

EnderG60;1039905 wrote: Yeah I can put this rock in my tank to monitor par. Until it gets covered in algae. And what is the point of having your controller monitor it?

Ill save $100+ and just get a PAR meter.

EnderG60;1039929 wrote: There is a difference between cleaning pumps and heaters once or twice a year and having to whip off the sensor every single day.

Not to mention your PAR is different at every point in your tank.

Sorry I just dont see a point to this.

Bingo!

Thank you Danny, you have a good point, using a par meter when need it or periodically, vs having one all the time inside the tank that would be giving you different readings due to algae incrustations, plus the extra money that it cost for being that brand, there's some other good and reliable brand par meter in the market.

hzheng33;1040281 wrote: for whatever it's worth, it's sold out on BRS and Neptune is laughing all the way to the bank

Just goes to show that every time I have an idea like that and think "na, that wont work. People arnt that stupid." I get proven wrong and remain poor.

just rent a par meter at pure reef in alpharetta. $10 a day and only a short drive down mcgennis or duluth hwy for you.

id lol if you had something programmed while a snail sat on top of the sensor.
at some point, between all the wires in the tank and everything, you will have a franken-tank.

ive been a fan of KISS method. Because murphy's law will come in to play.

Back