Parameters -- which are most important

geno

Market
Reaction score
I was thinking about the various parameters that must be monitored to maintain a healthy tank.

Just thinking of the most common, such as temperature, SG, and pH -- which of these is most critical, i.e. it must be maintained very carefully? At this point I'm thinking fish -- not LPS or SPS -- I know that adds another dimension.

Interestingly, my ACJr only monitors temp and pH -- not ORP.

-geno

ammonia then nitrates for fish only.

for corals, it's calcium, pH and alkalinity, then magnesium, in that order.
temperature is a physical parameter so i don't know if it applies but it is also important to maintain a stable temp tank.

I've yet to monitor ORP in a tank whether FO or reef. As far as which of the three is important, I would say all. Temperature can effect the SG, so it has to be monitored, surely. Fish can take small swings in all three areas, as long as they are not a sudden event. All though when a heater got stuck in one of my tanks recently, I was able to re-acclimate a pair of clowns from 96 degree back down to a reasonable temp, that was about three weeks ago and no ill signs yet. I've had a tank crash due to ph (8.3 to 5.8) overnight, only thing that survived that was a large Niger trigger. IMO all are important but stability is more important. I hope this helps..

The answer to your question is all of the above. It's very important that temp and SG remain relatively constant, but it's easy to do so. PH fluctuations are pretty common, but it's not that critical in a FO system. If your alk is good, it shouldn't be a problem. Nitrates and Phophates are also critical in trying to minimizing nuisance algae.

For fish all these are a must

Ammonia, Nitrite, temperature, SG, and pH (granted pH should take care of itself if everything OK)

For a reef all the above plus nitrates, calcium and alkalinity are 100% not optional. MG is next as it's important for the other 2!

Now once your going for a while you won't have amm or trites so those become a non -issue. Nitrates can be rarely tested for if you change water and stock properly they should never become a problem. Check SG when you change water, it shouldn't vary much but will a litlle due to skimming, etc.

Calcium alk and MG take some time to figure out and adjust dosing and will always need monitoring.

ORP is totally optional (unless running ozone) I don't know anyone who actually uses it for anything other then controlling ozone. If it's super low it can tell you something is wrong.

Back