PC Wiring question.

platyplakia

Market
Reaction score
I bought a Custom Sealife 2 x 65 watt PC and one of the ballasts went out. I purchased a coralife ballast to replace it, but there seems to be an extra neutral wire (black with white stripe) coming out of the ballast. On the side goin out to the lamp. The original had two red and one yellow, the coralife: two black and two black w/white. How should I put these wires together, or can I put them together? Will it work? Also, on the other end of the coralife ballast, the two cables are black and red. I have the black connected to the neutral(white) and the red connected to the live wire(black). Is this correct? Can anyone please help a brotha out? Thanks for reading.

Jamie,

That doesn't sound right at all. Typically I wouldn't think a ballast manufacturer would make the neutral wire black. Didn't this thing come with a wiring diagram? Can you give us the model number on the ballast? Is there anything printed on the ballast?

No, unfortunately both the original and the coralife were purchased used. NO diagrams. The Custom Sealife brand of lighting has since gone out of business. As far as the neutral goes: my ternminology is probably way off. I'm not much of an electrician. If you hadn't figured that out already. </em>

The Custom Sealife ballast: Work Horse 3? Model No. WH3-120-L</em>
On one side there are two red wires and one Yellow. On the other side there are a black and a white wire.</em>

The Coralife Ballast: BH-APLO551A PL55W~65W *1 Un: 120Vac 50/60Hz </em>
One side has one red and one black wire. On the other side there are "four" wires. Two pairs, equalying four total. Each pair has a solid black and a black with a white stripe.</em>

Thanks So much for the help. I hope this clarifies things a little. I just figured out how to take pictures of my tanks last night. And found out how to get them on the website and everything. Now my camera wont read the memory card anymore! That's why I haven't included any pictures. Sorry!</em>

<span style="font-family: Arial;">Here&#8217;s you ballast.</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;"></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">http://www.aquariumpart.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RES53052">http://www.aquariumpart.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RES53052</a></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">It&#8217;s weird though, usually when you have 2 sets of wires going to the bulb(s), it is for a set of two. This one specifically say it&#8217;s for 1&#8230;</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial;">I&#8217;ll search some more.</span>

From that picture, it is obvious that the black pairs of wires are to go to the lamp and the black and red wire are for power. I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere so I cant confirm how they go, sorry.

Back