PE on SPS?

genesis

Market
Reaction score
So ever since I got my first acro colony I've long been mystified on this topic. What promotes Polyp Extension? Why do some tanks get it all the time and others only at night? Are some corals more prone to PE than others? Does lighting, flow, tank parameters play a role? Etc. Any info and experience on this topic, please feel free to chime in.

My personal experience I have with my tank is I get very little PE on my acros except for at night when the lights are out.

you're probably going to get 100 different answers on this, but in my opinion, PE is affected the most by water quality.

In my experience, sps hate nitrates and phosphates, but love a heavy bioload. If you can manage both, you will have nice PE.

Some corals are definitely more prone to big time PE than others (millis for example). In my experience, water quality and flow are the two most importante factors.

Declanisadog;1039634 wrote: Some corals are definitely more prone to big time PE than others (millis for example).

This is a great point - some corals just don't put out polyps during the day.

Declanisadog;1039634 wrote: Some corals are definitely more prone to big time PE than others (millis for example). In my experience, water quality and flow are the two most importante factors.

I agree. I've always see milli's with crazy PE all the time. In regards to water quality, can you be more specific?

Crew;1039623 wrote: you're probably going to get 100 different answers on this, but in my opinion, PE is affected the most by water quality.

In my experience, sps hate nitrates and phosphates, but love a heavy bioload. If you can manage both, you will have nice PE.

Very interesting

In my limited experience a happy sps has good PE. Lifting, water quality, flow...

Genesis;1039638 wrote: I agree. I've always see milli's with crazy PE all the time. In regards to water quality, can you be more specific?

Low nutrients, feed a lot, skim heavy, stay on top of water changes, and of course stability

Declanisadog;1039741 wrote: Low nutrients, feed a lot, skim heavy, stay on top of water changes, and of course stability

Loving this answer! Feed a lot?

I do feed a lot (SunCoral & dendros) and so far have managed to keep up with exporting excess nutrients, but it is work!

A little sidebar but it is still in the same topic area.

What is the best method for feeding SPS, acro's, or corals in general. I would think whenever they have the most PE right?

I disagree with "feed a lot". At least feeding the SPS. Feed your FISH :) Let the natural break down happen and your corals will have plenty of food.

That being said I'm not sure it has much to do with PE. I ran a zeovit system a while, then accomplished ULNS in other ways, but always had incredible PE from my sps. This was in a system with almost no nutrients in the water.

SnowManSnow;1039764 wrote: I disagree with "feed a lot". At least feeding the SPS. Feed your FISH :) Let the natural break down happen and your corals will have plenty of food.

That being said I'm not sure it has much to do with PE. I ran a zeovit system a while, then accomplished ULNS in other ways, but always had incredible PE from my sps. This was in a system with almost no nutrients in the water.

I can't speak for the others, but I meant feeding the fish when I said heavy feeding. A fat fish is a happy fish, and if the tank can handle the nutrients, the coral will love it.

Seems to me ultra low nutrient tanks have more pe more often maybe there extended longer in hopes of feeding more from the water

Back