People Getting Out Before They've Really Gotten In

catgirl29

Market
Reaction score
I've noticed that many get out of the hobby just months after getting in. Do you think we (and the industry) need to do a better job of explaining what's involved (time commitment) and how costly it can get?

I had someone get kinda nasty with me on FB yesterday when I gave a good review of a Coralife skimmer I have and use. The other poster said "Coralife are really not for those individuals that are wanting to invest in the hobby." Well excuse me, but this hobby is very expensive and if my used Coralife is working for me, then I'm not going to knock a whole class of items that meet a certain price point.

Anyway, I thought it might be a good discussion.

No product is perfect. It works for someone not others. Every tank setups differently. Haters gonna hate.

I would say that most hobbiests are 1 hiccup away from being out of the hobby and I don't know that there is any one cause.

I would say that at least 50% of the stores that sell salt water fish are full of employees that have no idea what they are doing and only care about the sale. We forget how lucky we are in Atlanta with the sponsor stores and community available to us. People jump into the hobby buying a ton of stuff they don't need and having too little patience because they dont understand the cycle or fish.

It's only a matter of time before they get sick of driving to the fish store to have their water tested and trying yet another chemical or miracle cure to fix the lack of basic husbandry.

The issue is, the only real solution I can see is basically trying to talk most potential customers out of the hobby before they even start.

I'll second that, most people would never get into this hobby if they knew the financial commitment but also, the time! A $1100 tank in the store is really a $6k investment when it's all setup with some live stock etc and months of patience. (rough example ;))

The stores are where the change should happen but I think it would impact sales and so I'm not sure it would ever get out. Just not enough education around it.

It is sad because, at least for me, I think its a relaxing and easy hobby one you get a feel for it.

People are going to talk trash about any product, just ignore them or thank them for their opinion and move on.
As far as people getting out of the hobby after getting in it - I think that goes for any hobby, not just reefing. Look at motorcycles - why is it that a 5 year old bike have 1000 miles on it? Or boating - a 5 yr motor have less than 50 hours on it? Hell, let's even look at pets - look at all the animals in shelters. People just get bored easy and lack the dedication to enjoy things long term. Or make a commitment for something long term. Then there are those with life changes which is totally understandable.
Just my two cents.

I think part of it is that a lot of people see tanks, like what they see and want one immediately. Most don't wait to learn and plan out what they need to do to prepare, and how much everything costs. They go to the store, buy everything they are told they need, go home, and add a product to cycle the tank quicker. They may wait a week or so, then go out and buy fish and coral. Everything does well for a little, then something happens and things start to die. Then they just give up.

Really nothing you can do for people that are inpatient. You can try to teach them what is the proper methods. But you can't control what people do.

Happens with every single hobby.

People start not knowing anything but what a salesman told them and start to realize it takes time, money and energy.

Some people loose interest fast, others realize they dont have the time or money for the hobby they thought they did.

People will always do stuff on a whim and change their minds later. Just be happy there are impulsive people out there, means more deals on lightly used stuff for us :)

I have a lot of people that stop over at the house and say they want a tank after seeing mine, the first thing I say is if you don't have one already, don't get one, come over and look at mine when ever you like, but if you do get in i'll help all I can.
a large percentage of people who drop out soon after getting in is based on lack of research which you can't really put blame on the LFS for encouraging you to get in, that's how they stay alive.
it's your job to have the discipline to do the home work and research the cost, the does, the don'ts, equipment and others.
it helps to have someone to give you the guide lines like the LFS but still you take that information and research the hell out of it and go with what you think is best for your situation.
life does throw some curve balls and the small percentage that go out can't be helped, but for the most part if your fully aware of what your getting into and have the patience and commitment for it you would have a good chance at a successful tank.

I'm fine with it, means more used equipment to choose from on the local market :)

I'm cheap, I mean, everything I have is used, even fish! I do buy new pumps and test kits, but everything else is second hand. Does that mean it's crap? No, it's all name brand (Deep Blue, Vertex, Kessil) but I refuse to pay the "reef" premium. Seems anything made for saltwater or the "R" word is price gouged like crazy.

I think this hobby can be as complex or as simple as you want it to be. One thing that contributes to the complexity/simplicity is the amount of cash you have available to put into the system.

The first fish tank I ever had was a 55gal reef my parents got off a guy on craigslist. I was 13 at the time. I only had the knowledge I'd read off the internet, and my parents had and have no clue about fish tanks. The tank thrived with anemones, SPS, lps, multiple fish and a variety of inverts. Did I have a $600 led? Nope. $300 protein skimmer? Nope. GFO, carbon, phosban reactors? Nope. No ATO, no vortecs, not even a light timer. You can go a long way with a coralife HOB protein skimmer, 4 bulb t-5 and an occasional water change.

That being said, I often envy how neat, and matinence free a lot of the community's tanks are, but I think for a new reefer the amount of equipment you CAN have is daunting. Should I run?, do I need a led with automated light cycle? Do I need a wave maker for my coral to grow? Etc. I think it's better for beginners to have the simplest, most hands ON system possible to begin, then add all the fancy expensive equipment.

Just my 0.2¢

You guys will love this...

So we do a lot of industry surveys and such... Last year there was a big survey done.

According to the survey... 80% of the people that start this hobby are out of the hobby within 6 months.

My owner loves using that during our meetings to remind us of the up hill battle we have as a store retaining people in the hobby and as customers.

While that sounds crazy I think it's pretty similar for all hobbies... it is human nature to want to try new things and move on. It can be hard... because while you want to warn them of all the work involved right off the bat... but as a store we don't want to scare away potential new customers/hobbyist either.

I'd be curious to see the numbers on people that make it passed 6 months. I'll bet it's incredibly low. If you can make it 6 months in this hobby, you probably have a good handle and aren't likely to leave.

To the OP...Because you don't have a $1K protein skimmer, $2400 worth of lighting and a 1000 gallon DT it doesn't mean that yours is a bad system or that you have bad equipment. I have seen right here in ATL a 40 breeder running black box lighting, a HOB skimmer and no sump with some of the most beautiful stony corals ever! As someone already said, haters will hate. And yes, this hobby is just like any other. I'm one of those mentioned earlier. I have a 1995 20 foot Ranger Bass boat with a 225 Mercury outboard on it. I'm willing to bet it doesn't have over 100 hours on the motor! Keep on reefing and help where you can!

I have a 1995 20 foot Ranger Bass boat with a 225 Mercury outboard on it. I'm willing to bet it doesn't have over 100 hours on the motor! Keep on reefing and help where you can!

doug, come summer time i'll help you put some hours on that boat of yours, hate for it to collect dust.

Urbanknight;1066947 wrote: To the OP...Because you don't have a $1K protein skimmer, $2400 worth of lighting and a 1000 gallon DT it doesn't mean that yours is a bad system or that you have bad equipment. I have seen right here in ATL a 40 breeder running black box lighting, a HOB skimmer and no sump with some of the most beautiful stony corals ever! As someone already said, haters will hate. And yes, this hobby is just like any other. I'm one of those mentioned earlier. I have a 1995 20 foot Ranger Bass boat with a 225 Mercury outboard on it. I'm willing to bet it doesn't have over 100 hours on the motor! Keep on reefing and help where you can!
lol, you talking about me? just kidding. for me, i don't dose, i don't have fancy equipment, I don't have the latest and greatest. when I had the 40b, it had the bare minimum. it's all about what you're committed to do and you expectation

doug, come summer time i'll help you put some hours on that boat of yours, hate for it to collect dust.[/QUOTE]

You have a deal my friend! :D:D:D

hzheng33;1066960 wrote: lol, you talking about me? just kidding. for me, i don't dose, i don't have fancy equipment, I don't have the latest and greatest. when I had the 40b, it had the bare minimum. it's all about what you're committed to do and you expectation

As a matter of fact Hui, I was talking exactly about you! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

you really have to fall in love with this hobby to continue to do it. it is work! it is expensive! it is REWARDING!! only way people will continue this hobby is if it works! people want beautiful display tanks not knowing it took time for that tank to look like that. starting off with $10 frags may help with cost. but you wont have that vibrant full look until you invest over the months/years. and it gets costly. i found myself investing $100-200 a week on coral alone (small $10-30 frags). not including medications(when fish got sick), purchased water, food, and equipment. but basically. if you dont fall in love with your tank (the corals and fish). you wont be in this hobby long. when this hobby becomes a headache more than a stress reliever. people bail out. are their any companies out there that do at home services to tank? like once a week cleanings and or water changes.

Back