Pepermint shrimp Help!

CJD18

Market
Reaction score
Is it hit or miss them eating soft polyps.. scans or torts. All most over night this white area appeared on a purple tort. 20190520_135451.jpg

They definitely are hit or miss. Some of them have voracious appetites and will eat anything from hammers to zoas. That's why they're not really effective for controlling aiptasia; they eat what they want!

I've never seen them pick at sps before... but they have done harm to lps and flower nems in my tanks. Honestly, it sounds counter intuitive... but if you have aptasia that the shrimp won't eat... start feeding the aptasia some large mysis or big chunks of frozen. The shrimp will smell that and tear up the aptasia to get it... and then learn to eat them as well :p.

Interesting, I didn't know that about them; got one last year because my daughter wanted it. Other than stealing food from a duncan, ours has been an outstanding citizen. I have since moved the duncan to my other tank. It gets a little curious when putting a new frag of anything in as well.

I have 2 in my refugium. They are are no problems back there . If I get an pest nem I just put one in the display and it gone in hours . Then back in the fuge till I need them again. They also have a clutch of eggs every month or so , so free food .

They did a great job with my small apt aptasia the big ones I hit with aptasia x. They did nibble at a few aptasia like softie polyps a one point tho. Nothing else tho

Check out YouTube so many bids of them eating polyps, there not starving I feed daily from fresh raw shrimp to veggies

Back