Peppermint shrimp

floridaboy704

Market
Reaction score
Ok so I am thinking of buying a peppermint shrimp tomorrow. I need exp from those of you that have them in your reef tanks. Are they ok with zoa, mushrooms and rics?? I know they eat aptasia anemonies so Im guessing they go after all other kinds correct??

i have two in my tank. and they seem so just jump on corals for fun. it doesnt pinch at them, just hops around then goes on with its business. and i havent seen them anywhere near my anemone, but i also have a young gold stripe maroon hosting it. but id say go for it. they might be nervous the first couple days but mine now hang out where ever day and night.

ok thank you guys very much. I have heard mixed reviews on them but I think they are cool IMO. Plus they get rid of some pests lol.

It's hit or miss. I eventually had to evict mine for trying to steal food from my corals.

If you feed your tank heavily you should be fine. Also there's two or three types that look very much alike.

What ever you do don't get camel shrimp (Rhynchocinetes durbanensis) on accident.

I think there are two varieties of pepp shrimp. The pacific one will sometimes damage or destroy LPS or anemones. I got one by accident from a LFS and it killed the brightest red BTA I've ever seen and my wife's favorite plate coral.

The one I kicked out was trying to eat my BTA. I had four of them and one was colored a little different than the other three.

Yep the odd man out sounds like a pacific peppermint. They look very similar but are not reef-safe in my book.

Just an update but after I brought my 2 pepps home, they wont come out of the LR and dont seem to like light very much. I use my flashlight at night and I found that both are females and carrying eggs. Could this be why they are being so secretive? Im worried about them not eating. When I fed my clown this morning, they didnt even act interested.

Back