Peppermints?

RonS

Reaction score
Howdy all!

Started getting aiptasia showing up in the DT. I'm doing my best to cover them with epoxy putty as they pop up, but I know that's a losing battle (plus, I'm too dang lazy!).

Tank is 50 gallons or so. Any recommendations on quantity of many peppermints to add? I feed well, so starvation shouldn't be a problem. Just curious for opinions on how many it would take to patrol a tank of this size (36x18x18, "medium" amount of LR).

Thanks in advance!

--Ron

i have never had much success with peppermints and aiptasia, though that may be the minority opinion. Its just never worked for me. Who knows.

filefish, on the otherhand, i view as a valuable member of CUC and put in almost every tank I’ve ever run. Tifwif.

Thanks, all!!

I am only just starting to see aiptasia, so any I have "should" be small enough for peppermint shrimp. I know they are hit-or-miss, but I'd rather that than berghia that will surely die - probably sooner rather than later since I'm only seeing a very few tiny nems at this point. I would love a file fish, but every source I've seen says they will definitely eat corals?

A group buy would be cool. but more than likely will be on the other side of town, and not soon enough to soothe my paranoia : )

I saw a bunch at my LFS yesterday... I'll start off with 4 or 5 and see what happens.

Thanks again!!

--Ron

Thanks, all!!

I am only just starting to see aiptasia, so any I have "should" be small enough for peppermint shrimp. I know they are hit-or-miss, but I'd rather that than berghia that will surely die - probably sooner rather than later since I'm only seeing a very few tiny nems at this point. I would love a file fish, but every source I've seen says they will definitely eat corals?

A group buy would be cool. but more than likely will be on the other side of town, and not soon enough to soothe my paranoia : )

I saw a bunch at my LFS yesterday... I'll start off with 4 or 5 and see what happens.

Thanks again!!

--Ron
I found a frag in my frag tank today that has one on it. This weekend I'm cutting the xenia and colt off it and nuke the rock. At least there is no rock work in the frag tank.

I currently have a tank with a lot of aiptasia and another that had a small number. I could probably count 15 small ones in the second tank 2 weeks ago.

filefish - ignores aiptasia - pretty sure eats corals - for sure eats snails. We love this kooky fish though and I'm glad we have him even with his expensive eating habits
Berghia - I put 20 medium sized ones in the tank with a lot of aiptasia the second week of January, I think they are finally making a dent although I've never been able to find one since the day I put them in the tank
about a dozen peppermints - spread across 2 tanks. These guys have gotten the second tank with just a handful to the point that I can't find a piece of aiptasia anywhere. I'm pretty sure my filefish considers these guys a tasty snack as well.

I ordered most of my peppermints from reefcleaners and, as is always the case with Jeff, service was excellent.

Copperband Butterfly is the bees kneeeeeees

I would agree with the sentiment they are difficult. But if you find a good one, he will be your best buddy EVAR.

Also, shooting a little vinegar into their mouths helped me control them. The aiptasia. Not the copperband. Vinegar should only be used on fried varieties. Fish, I mean. Not fried aiptasia.

Thank you for the detailed response! I’ll be picking up some peppermints and an emerald crab soon (though I’ve been saying that for weeks : )

I covered over a couple small aiptasias with epoxy putty, and that seems to work well. I need to hit a couple more small ones. I think the “mother” is in my sump, shoved in a cranny formed by my boxes of Miracle Mud. I don’t want to move the Mud, as that will make a horrible mess. But the nem refuses to die. Sigh...

Thanks, all!!

I currently have a tank with a lot of aiptasia and another that had a small number. I could probably count 15 small ones in the second tank 2 weeks ago.

filefish - ignores aiptasia - pretty sure eats corals - for sure eats snails. We love this kooky fish though and I'm glad we have him even with his expensive eating habits
Berghia - I put 20 medium sized ones in the tank with a lot of aiptasia the second week of January, I think they are finally making a dent although I've never been able to find one since the day I put them in the tank
about a dozen peppermints - spread across 2 tanks. These guys have gotten the second tank with just a handful to the point that I can't find a piece of aiptasia anywhere. I'm pretty sure my filefish considers these guys a tasty snack as well.

I ordered most of my peppermints from reefcleaners and, as is always the case with Jeff, service was excellent.

Back