Pesticides in the home

legalreefer

Market
Reaction score
Is there any pesticides that work well that "wont harm" the fish? I know everything is extremely toxic but maybe someone knows of one that is more safe than others. Warmer months coming means more bugs.

That's a pretty broad question. If you have a 'bug guy' that treats indoors in your home, make sure he knows you have a tank(s). Most professionals know how to treat without risk to your tank - or they should.

If you're treating the interior yourself, baits are better than sprays, for obvious reasons - the bait is not airborne, and as such, won't get into your tank through the room air.

Jenn

I believe the skimmer would be the first one to introduce pollutants to the water column obviously trough air, for this matter there's some prefilters sold for this porpoises, you attach them to the air inlet and replace the media as necessary.

All depends too in what pesticides the people who's applying them is using, there's some difference between them, narrow spectrum and braod spectrum, normally depends on what you ask your pesticide company to use around and inside your house depends on your needs (this would be neccesary to ask them about wich is safer for the tank) many factors include the use of them, kids in the house, household pets, and what your house has to be protected of, bugs, ants, rodents, etc etc.

JennM;1020866 wrote: That's a pretty broad question. If you have a 'bug guy' that treats indoors in your home, make sure he knows you have a tank(s). Most professionals know how to treat without risk to your tank - or they should.

If you're treating the interior yourself, baits are better than sprays, for obvious reasons - the bait is not airborne, and as such, won't get into your tank through the room air.

Jenn

Yep.

My bug guy, who knows JennM, who knows his wife, another Jen, is a reefer (confused yet??).
He's been doing my house for years and knows the ramifications of insecticides and aquariums.

Actually the surface of the tank acts as the 'lungs' of the tank. Most gas exchange happens as the surface makes contact with the air.

Y-Not - your bug guy must be Mike Smith of Bug Off. His wife, known as "Other Jen" or "Jen Jr." worked for me for nearly 10 years. She continues to service tanks today, so she's been at it for 11 years this month (and before that as a hobbyist).

I'd have recommended calling Mike for pest control service but Legal Reefer is in Watkinsville according to his profile. That's a bit out of Mike's territory (Canton/Woodstock).

A lot of hobbyists ask for Mike because he knows what he's doing and he's been at that for well over 10 years also.

Jenn

Back