Petco Saltwater Aquatic Workshop

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
Saturday June 21. 4pm - 5pm
Lithonia (Stonecrest shopping center)

I regular this petco, and their SW people are pretty cool. They are having a SW workshop so if anyone here is new to the hobby, they can give you some ideas, suggestions, or help. They have good prices on what they carry, and can special order just about any fish. I know most are going to tease about ever going to petco, but some of the most healthy fish I've got came from petco.

They are going to have some seachem door prizes.

my.php
>
img1464lx1.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

I've stopped in the store here in Alpharetta -- and while their selection is very limited -- the fish all look healthy -- their prices are reasonable too.

Since they don't have much SW traffic -- I can watch a fish for a few weeks before making my purchase.

geno;185370 wrote: I've stopped in the store here in Alpharetta -- and while their selection is very limited -- the fish all look healthy -- their prices are reasonable too.

Since they don't have much SW traffic -- I can watch a fish for a few weeks before making my purchase.
boy is it not like that out here i mean the fish all look good and stuff but it being one of the only places to get sw stuff it goes like crazy

I sometimes like to go in and look to see what they have. There prices are very reasonable.

But i have seen a lot of sick fish at the two stores near me. Im sure it varies with location.

the lithonia store is the top selling petco for SW in GA (according to the mgmt). So stiff usually sells out on order days. But they reserve fish for you, and special order too, and they have many fish they can order.

but then again there is not another SW store within a 30 min drive of it in almost any direction

I was in a LFS (not Petco) that is a sponsor of the ARC.

I saw at least 3 or 4 dead fish in various tanks.

I like the store a lot and they don't usually allow dead fish to remain in a tank. Obviously, it retards sales. My guess, is that before any LFS opens the doors for the day -- they inspect (or should) every tank to ensure all dead and dying fish are removed.

most do check every day, but its just the nature of the business, fish die. I mean think about their 40g or whatever tanks that have at least 5 times the bio load for the tank....than account for orders which bring in unusually large quantities of fish that can burden the bio filter in one shot. Most of these fish just came from the ocean like a week before you see them there, so...I know I was rambling, but really, fish die a lot in all stores, it's just do they have time to walk by their tanks religiously to remove in many cases.

When do they get their shipments in at the Lithonia store? I spend most weekends out in Conyers, so I've been in there a few times. Not much to see in there by then.

Brand new Petco being built in Alpharetta near Hwy 9 and Windward (next to where the new Super Target is being built). Looks larger than the one on States Bridge. Hopefully they will have some good fish.

I think the new alpharetta store is supposed to have the new layout too (not sure what that is, but the SW guy at this store was excited about it)

They get shipments in on monday and friday (usually they're put up around 1pm), and some special orders throughout the week. If you let me know, I can write you down in their special order book, and they can call you when they come in, and you can ask what came in and so on...or you can special order something too.

they have 3 suppliers. Or at least this one does, They also go through quality marine (could not tell you if it is better though), and another. I can call and ask though if you would like to know the other.

dawgdude;185853 wrote: I am talking about the one currently in Alpharetta that was mentioned. I asked them many times who their supplier was and the only one was Sunpet. I was going to just do a big special order and QT for my dads tank so I woudlnt have to transport them, but I wont support Sunpet.

the one in alpharetta is looking better since they have far less fish but it is a hit or miss with them, like i got my coral beauty from the when i first started and it is still doing great.

Tom runs the aquatic area -- seems like a nice guy. Don't know where the fish come from but the ones I have seen have all been healthy and fairly priced.

dawgdude;185853 wrote: I am talking about the one currently in Alpharetta that was mentioned. I asked them many times who their supplier was and the only one was Sunpet. I was going to just do a big special order and QT for my dads tank so I woudlnt have to transport them, but I wont support Sunpet.
Have you ever been to another wholesaler for comparison? I doubt it.....

Back