Pex tubing?

dkelly

Market
Reaction score
Can you safely use PEX potable water tubing for reef tank plumbing?

a>

Yes, I hear it is suppsoe to the be the next big thig for aquariums. Is it available yet?

The only bummer about it is that apparently you need the special tool to crimp the fittings (of which some are metal). That tool is supposedly a little pricey. But I am just going on heresay.

The tool isn't pricey its expensive! I went to get the kit because most of my house was replumbed with the stuff. Lowes had the kit for around $149. I should have known Kimberly back then and had her husband use his Lowes discount to get me one.:yes:

The tubing itself is very safe, the connectors are brass so use caution with them...

Yes however, we stopped using it in new home construction because it is very prone to leaks.

It is a wonderful idea in construction with colored pipe but I have seen far toooooo many connections come apart under pressure.

If you are not an expert with the clamping tool you are asking for trouble but if you need one I believe I can round one up for you.

And schwaggs is correct the pipe fittings are brass.

Seedless Reefer;76687 wrote: Yes however, we stopped using it in new home construction because it is very prone to leaks.

Sounds like polybutylene all over again...

Back