PH 8.15 how slowly should I reduce?

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
When I checked my APEX my PH was at 8.15 and I had no idea why! When I got home I realized I left my canopy and stand doors closed which is a no-no with my current temp issues.
I've got it dropping easily by opening it up and some windows but I'm worried it's dropping to fast, is this dangerous?

Camellia;988154 wrote: When I checked my APEX my PH was at 8.15 and I had no idea why! When I got home I realized I left my canopy and stand doors closed which is a no-no with my current temp issues.
I've got it dropping easily by opening it up and some windows but I'm worried it's dropping to fast, is this dangerous?
Just let it drop. As long as your KH and calcium are within range, the actual pH number is not that important as long as you are in the 7.8-8.5 range. Nothing to fret about, IMO.

Whew, that's exactly what I'm doing ATM is testing Mag, Calc and KH. Fun times at 2 AM, lol
Thank you sir, sure appreciate you and glad your a night owl like me :)

There's nothing wrong with 8.15 ph... I usually sit around 8.2 with lights on.

This is a great article for anyone new or anyone that had not seen it yet. It is by Randy Holmes-Farley, and is a guide to what are desirable parameters for just about everything in a reef aquarium. After reading this, I stopped worrying about specific pH numbers, and just looked to be in the acceptable range. The parameters have an explanation with them that tells you the "Why" of it as well, which is very helpful.

a>

pay attention to Alk and Ca levels. Don't worry about ph, especially not 8.15!

barry_keith;988248 wrote: When's the last time the probe was calibrated?

Not long ago maybe 2 months! I got both fluid packs and could calibrate again (tonight) but it was and has been fine?

I'm more likely to think my refractometer is off, I'll check that first. Would high salinity cause all prams to be high?
Thanks

I'm getting Hannah checkers, I hate how long and how perfect you have to be with Red Sea tests kits. I only did one test each and lost count on drops once, it was late....

Camellia;988252 wrote: Not long ago maybe 2 months! I got both fluid packs and could calibrate again (tonight) but it was and has been fine?

I'm more likely to think my refractometer is off, I'll check that first. Would high salinity cause all prams to be high?
Thanks

I'm getting Hannah checkers, I hate how long and how perfect you have to be with Red Sea tests kits. I only did one test each and lost count on drops once, it was late....

Camellia;988247 wrote: Dang guys I meant 8.55 not 8.15 with lights off and had been off for 4 hours.

KH is a bit high. I have just found SPS does better for me with KH in the middle of the KH range mentioned earlier. Your salt could be contributing if it is high to begin with. An abnormally high SG with a high initial KH/Ca/mag salt mix could be to blame, or at least contributory. Your mag is high, but not emergency level high, IMO. Calcium is a bit elevated, but not terrible either.

Do you dose or use a calcium reactor? If so, you should back off dosing and/or turn the CO2 feed off to the CaRx and let your KH/Ca/mag levels fall naturally through consumption in the tank, then either adjust yor dosing volumes down or increase the CaRx pH set point up some.

You are either feeding too much KH/Ca/mag to the rank, or your salt mix is.

Camellia;988251 wrote: Prams from last night
Salinity 1.025
Mag 1600
KH 12.9
Calc 490
Everything's high too high

I wouldn't consider that too high. You'll get monster sps growth with higher alk levels. :)

Have you changed that pump yet? If not, that's what you meed to fix first!

Skriz;988260 wrote: I wouldn't consider that too high. You'll get monster sps growth with higher alk levels. :)

Agree. Ran my SPS dom reef back in the day with those numbers and had the best looking colors and growth to date.

With alkalinity that high, >11, you run an increased chance of abiotic calcium carbonate precipitation on equipment, like heaters and pump impellers, mostly equipment that generates heat, and you can depress calcium levels and the CaCO3 precipitation makes for more equipment maintenance.

This is all oulined under the alkalinity section in the RHF article.

Also. I don't think fast SPS growth is a big advantage or really desirable in a reef tank in the first place. The faster they grow, the faster they shadow others and have to be pruned and/or removed. If you want to make a lot of frags, then OK, but I'll take a slower growing SPS over a fast growing one any day. Fast growing corals, like Green Slimer, were the first things to go in my SPS tank. I will take balanced slow growth any day over fast growth.

But all that said, you can do whatever you want. I believe anyone running those parameters knowingly or unknowningly should be aware of the risks involved in doing so.

Skriz;988260 wrote: I wouldn't consider that too high. You'll get monster sps growth with higher alk levels. :)

Have you changed that pump yet? If not, that's what you meed to fix first!

You crack me up!
I should receive a Quiet One 4000 today :)

Dave, I only dose Red Sea Energy & Phyto. My refractometer was off I need a new one (next order). I've got salinity back in check and will back off Energy.

Corals are very happy and I'm finally getting some nice growth but I would prefer to stay in recommended pram levels.

Dave is right, but if you're on top of your maintenance, it's nothing that will stop your equipment from working.

Acroholic;988206 wrote: This is a great article for anyone new or anyone that had not seen it yet. It is by Randy Holmes-Farley, and is a guide to what are desirable parameters for just about everything in a reef aquarium. After reading this, I stopped worrying about specific pH numbers, and just looked to be in the acceptable range. The parameters have an explanation with them that tells you the "Why" of it as well, which is very helpful.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/</a>[/QUOTE]

I had to smile when I went to this link, I took a snap shot of his tables years ago with my iPad and have it as a photo in my Reef album.
Thanks Dave

[QUOTE=][B]Mimi's Fish;988221 wrote:[/B] Read that article last week. It's really good.[/QUOTE]

Article from where?

Back