Ph and Kh..HELP!!

lucas3309

Market
Reaction score
I have tested my PH for the past two weeks and every time I have tested it, it was around 7.8. So I added some marine buffer to raise the PH and it did for the moment but when I test a couple of days later it's back at 7.8. So i figure it's the alkalinity so I test it using the API test for KH&GH and the test came out weird. It was extremely high, it took me 28 drops to turn the water from blue to dark yellow. Does anyone know what I can do about this??

retest.
read the directions very carefully. Also, how old is the kit?

If you need 5 ml of water, make sure you measure using a syringe, as opposed to the lines on the glass. Make sure you shake the bottle of regent, insure that it is upside down (180), and slowly dose drop by drop.

like mystery said. make sure you shake the regent test solution bottle. and only drop one drop at a time and then shake the test tube and repeat this for every drop to make sure it all mixed correctly. Also the bottle with the test drop in it should be complete 180 and i found that dropping it directly into the water and not letting it just run down the side of the test tube came out a little more accuratly for me. i have this same test so i know how you feel

call a lfs store if one is close and see if they can verify a result on that particular test. just another option.

don't trust a lfs to test your water.

You must perform the test very carefully. follow Ralph's instructions. Make sure the reagent drips from the bottle when it's completely upside down...not at an angle.

If the tests confirm your results than open your windows for a few hours or over night. If there is a breez you can open two windows on opposite ends of the house. If there is no breez just put a fan in one of the windows. You may have a build up of CO2 in you house and it's keeping your PH down. I had to "degass" about 6 months ago when i had the same problem (PH was hard to bring up above 7.8). After a night of degassing my PH had rissen to 8.2

I have a vent fan above my stove that vents outside that I turn on once a week for about 8 hrs. That seems to do the trick because my PH has tested 8.2-8.3 since then.

Good luck!

Ok here are my test results....

PH 7.8 (LOW)
KH 608.6ppm (OFF THE @#^&* CHARTS!!)
Cal 380ppm(LOW)

So how come the Ph and Cal are low and the Kh is very high.

Has anyone seen this before??

A water change would help everything except cal (if your using IO salt). If something is causing the PH to stay low like excess Co2 in your house and you keep dosing a buffer that is going to increase both PH and ALK (only PH is held down) than your ALK is going to shoot up.

Buffer won't increase Cal.

You need to make sure you tank has good gas exchange like having a ventalated hood, good current throughout the tank, protien skimmer helps, and baffels to help tumble the water in a sump or something.

Try venting your home and go from there. I would do a water change to get that ALK down a bit.

DO ALL OF THIS AFTER YOU USE ANOTHER TEST KIT. Sorry for the caps but your results are out of this world. That would be 34 DHK! WOW. I wouldn't think anything could survive that.

JAustin;205295 wrote: A water change would help everything except cal (if your using IO salt). If something is causing the PH to stay low like excess Co2 in your house and you keep dosing a buffer that is going to increase both PH and ALK (only PH is held down) than your ALK is going to shoot up.

Buffer won't increase Cal.

You need to make sure you tank has good gas exchange like having a ventalated hood, good current throughout the tank, protien skimmer helps, and baffels to help tumble the water in a sump or something.

Try venting your home and go from there. I would do a water change to get that ALK down a bit.

DO ALL OF THIS AFTER YOU USE ANOTHER TEST KIT. Sorry for the caps but your results are out of this world. That would be 34 DHK! WOW. I wouldn't think anything could survive that.

Thank you. I think that's what I was doing. My Ph was low so I was adding a buffer to raise my Ph the last week, but it also was raising my Ak :doh:. This is why I joined the ARC...:yay:

I love these pH and Alk discussions! I definitely agree with the air exchange comments. I've had a similar experience with the tank in my office upstairs. Now i vent the room every few days and it is much more stable. You may want to invest a few bucks in a pinpoint monitor for pH or try to find some one selling here. It's much more reliable than a test kit and easier to use. I also dose two part which keeps things in line for my 70G.
Bob

Ok here are the results from this afternoon. Yesterday I open all my windows to degas my house, and left them open for at least 17hours. I did a 25% water change also, and added Calcium.

Ph...7.8 ( No change)

Ak...27DKH (down from 34Dkh)

Cal...440ppm (up from 380ppm using Calcion by Brightwell Aquatics)

How long does it take to degas an apartment? It's only 1100 Sq. If the degas thing doesn't work what other options do I have to correct this problem?

I had that problem a few years ago and kept adding buffer with no change in ph, then someone on saltwaterfish.com said to point one of the power heads at the surface of the water, and haven't had that problem since. I always keep a power head pointed at the surface of the water, if the output isn't making enough water agitation. May not work, but it is worth a try, if your lucky it will be an easy fix, as it was for me.

In my case, I needed to make several water changes over a period of a week or so, and make sure that the new mixed salt water has a good pH if you are mixing your own. I have to buffer my Reef Crystals if I mix it and wait over 24 hours to use the new water. I also use a two part solution to maintain ALK and CALC in my tanks. It's a manual process but seems to work ok.

Hopefully the combination will bring things back in line. I think it would be better to gradually raise the pH (and drop the DkH) slowly then try to achieve the higher (and lower) values immediately. Gives more time for livestock to adjust to the swings and does not suddendly shock any thing.

Back