Ph probe calibration

You are going to want to get the solution packets. PH is way to important to skimp out on the correct calibration fluid.

You calibrate with pH 7 always. Your choice as to wether you use 4 or 10. Most folks will calibrate in the range their probes will be reporting most of the time. Calcium reactor controller I'd calibrate with 7 and 4 (usual range 6.5-6.9), A reef tank monitor I'd do 7 and 10 (usual range 7.8-8.5). I calibrate my freshwater controller with pH 7 and 4 (usual range 6.5-6.9).

If you don't want to mess with all three, then for your reef just get 7 and 10.

BTW, do you have the Owner's Manual for your RK2? Calibration info should be in there.
Dave

How often should one calibrate a PH probe? What is the expected life of the probes? I'm looking into getting an RK2 if I can find one cheap enough.

IME, probes last about 12-18 months. When you are unable to calibrate it or the calibration does not hold,then it is time for a replacement. The probes go bad, the monitors usually last forever.

I usually calibrate every 3 months or so. Once again, that info is usually in the owner's manual for whatever unit you own.

I too cal mine every 3 months, but usually find them to wander within a few tenths of right on. I'm sure this gets worse over time.

Bulk Reef Supply has a great deal on no-name probes, btw. I am using them and they seem just fine.

Back