Phoenix Vs. XM Metal halide bulb

tsunami

Market
Reaction score
I know this is an age old question, but I'm about to buy one of the two bulbs. It seems like the XM is better, but 2 or 3 people are swearing by the Phoenix.

I'm looking at the 150 watt 14K Phoenix and the 15K XM metal halide bulbs. I'm running it on a sunpod fixture with the normal ballast (I think it is electric) with nothing modified. Which one would you pick and why? Thanks.

Tagging along, hoping I may a good choice, (and the only one I could afford) in the Phoenix 150w DE 14K

Thanks Charlie and everyone else. The phoenix was also 20 dollars cheaper. But as much as we spend on coral, I thought that was the latter of my concerns. :)

I am tagging along as well. I just upgraded to the 20k XM from the standard 10k that comes with the Current fixtures. I am looking to enhance the color and growth of my corals.

XM has come out with a new improved 15k since the older one was crap. Should be out now or at the first of the year.

twocute2b4u;438027 wrote: I am tagging along as well. I just upgraded to the 20k XM from the standard 10k that comes with the Current fixtures. I am looking to enhance the color and growth of my corals.

I hear that higher K isn't as good for growth as the lower k bulbs, but you do get that nicer blue. Depending upon what you think of blue.

:)

Tsunami;438030 wrote: I hear that higher K isn't as good for growth as the lower k bulbs, but you do get that nicer blue. Depending upon what you think of blue.

:)
Not true.

I tried the XM 20K 400 watt SE and pulled it the same day. Hated it. Between the two I'd go with Phoenix.
Dave

Running a 150w Phoenix on my frag tank. Good bulb; good color and growth. No experience with the XM.

No experience with the XM, but I plan on sticking with the phoenix 14ks. I really like the color of the tank with these.

Been using the Pheonix 14k for years and love them. Never used the XM bulbs however.

I tried the XM 20K 400 watt SE and pulled it the same day. Hated it. Between the two I'd go with Phoenix.

weird, ran that same bulb for almost a year, loved it! Looks just like Radium.

I just put my Phoenix 150w 14K DE bulb in my Coralife clamp on fixture. It seems bright, but very blue, or maybe it justseems very blue because of the coralife 10K bulb I was used to.

Does anyone know if the color gets cooler or warmer as the bulb burns in? And how long does it take for a bulb to burn in to the color it will be?

Back