Phosban 150 and noises

hzheng33

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Peachtree Corners (Near Norcross High School)
so i never had a reactor before but have gotten one in order to achieve better water quality. i bought the Phosban 150, a Maxijet 600, and a Minijet 404. after all the test to make sure the reactor doesn't leak and the pumps are functioning, i connected them through a clear vinyl hose. to my dismay, there's rattling noise coming from the pump. at that point, i immediately took everything apart and inspected all the equipment without finding any anomaly. it is then it occurred to me that the rattle noise was due to the regulated flow as controlled by the ball valve. if my theory is correct, there's an excess of water from the pump that can no longer travel upward and can only flow can. so to test out my theory, i put a barbed tee between the pump and the ball valve so that excess water that doesn't travel upward can leave through the remaining opening on the tee. viola, it solved the rattling noise issue.

Here are my questions:
1) am i the only one who's having this issue? how do members use Phosban 150 avoid this situation?

2) this issue raised a bigger concern as i try to put a new system together with a different sump. it is to my understanding that some sumps/plumbings have ball valves on the return pump. if that's the case, wouldn't i be having the same problem as i'm having with the Phosban150?

Back