Phosban Rowa Phos: An Observation

jumplittlechloe

Market
Reaction score
I decided to switch from Rowa Phos to Phosban. Rowa Phos always had to be flushed with water to get it to run clear in the reactor. I always have a lower Alk (6.5-7.0 dkh) with Rowa Phos. Phosban was not as fine and did not have to be flushed with water. I checked Alk this morning as I always have to add 4ml of buffer in the morning and night. PH this morning was 7.5 dkh with Phosban running. Anyone have a similar experience or prefer one GFO over the other?

Interesting observation. I've really only used the BRS gfo so I can't say that I've seen any swing. On a side note, what products do you use? I wish I only had to add 8ml of buffer a day. What size tank and what kind of coral load?

I have kalk dosing through my auto top off. Ca is always around 460 with Mg around 1400. I always assumed kalk should keep Alk steady especially with buffer. I hope I stumbled onto something. I know GFO can drop Alk (see article). I use zeovit for coral supplementation. Mostly SPS and some LPS. My tank is 34g.

a>

At the summery of the article it pretty much says that they both do the same job. I would probably test both (alk and phos) for a few days and see what you get.

Planning on it. However, for the sake of less mess and not seeing the rust fines in my filter pad I vote phosban.

Back