phosphate test

fishlips

Market
Reaction score
Would like to know my phosphate level. I don't have any problems, but would still like to know.What is a good tester .I was looking at Hanna. They got like 3 different numbers, like 713,736, and another.:eek:

Fishlips;1041358 wrote: Would like to know my phosphate level. I don't have any problems, but would still like to know.What is a good tester .I was looking at Hanna. They got like 3 different numbers, like 713,736, and another.:eek:

hanna might work but i tried the red sea pro and actually got something readable.

elos, nothing
salifert, nothing
api, something but so did my ro/di

if you go hanna, id go ultra low phosphorus or low phosphate.

hi713 or hi736

depends how low you think your phosphates are.

Thanks, just like to rule out phosphates the cause of lack of color in some coral.

Fishlips;1041377 wrote: Thanks, just like to rule out phosphates the cause of lack of color in some coral.

coral supposedly need detectable phosphates. however i noticed no improvement over a week between 0 phosphates and .08 phosphates. i am of the assumption i need nitrates, as the test over the week has held a steady .5-.6 ppm nitrates dosing acropower and heavy feeding. my phosphates went up but my nitrates have stayed under 1 ppm. admittedly i have been dosing 10 ml flourish daily to raise po4 until detriment is seen while maintaining nitrate at approximately .5 ppm.

browning of coral was observed, maxima clam's mantle began retracting, and bright cyano appeared. there was no observable improvement of any colors. (in fact the opposite) alk was maintained at 8 dkh api/ 9 dkh red sea (not pro)

there is also a correlation between alk over 9 and low nitrates/phosphates as well. however i believe the evidence points more toward nitrates unless your gfo is sucking up every po4 ion in the system.

so far im going to aim for .01 po4, 8 alk, and somehow figure a way to get 5ppm nitrate. my current heavy feeding, and dosing acropower has kept my nitrates virtually the same. i dont want to jump the gun on my assumptions though. this is just what i have observed and others in my situation have had issues with.

lps and softies showed no change. only sps

imho phosphates will not be the issue for "lack of color" and would inhibit it

Thanks Russ, My Alk is a little high witch I'm bringing down.Good info

Fishlips;1041385 wrote: Thanks Russ, My Alk is a little high witch I'm bringing down.Good info

np man. just didnt want ya chasing the po4 tree for no reason.

you want some po4. .01-.03 ppm - minus cyano eating it up, but it leads to browning and stress of anything sensitive. my sticks didnt like the experiment at all. fortunately they were just frags, but paling continued regardless of po4 count.

I do have a little cyno that I'm trying to clear up, not bad.Just some on the lower rocks.Sticks are growing good,just color is what I'm working on.

Fishlips;1041391 wrote: I do have a little cyno that I'm trying to clear up, not bad.Just some on the lower rocks.Sticks are growing good,just color is what I'm working on.

if u got cyano traces anywhere you are good.

what is your nitrate?

I don't have a good test kit for nitrates. Its an API. I use Red Sea Pro test kit forAlk,Cal and mag
The nitrates read 0 with the API, but its not correct. But i do believe they are low.

Fishlips;1041396 wrote: I don't have a good test kit for nitrates. Its an API. I use Red Sea Pro test kit forAlk,Cal and mag
The nitrates read 0 with the API, but its not correct. But i do believe they are low.

get red sea pro if you are low nutrient man. i havent been let down by the pro tests. the regular ones, kinda remind me of a revamped api

Back