Phosphates Leaching From Live Rock?

vetshep

Market
Reaction score
I would appreciate some opinions ...

I am in the planning stages for a new set-up. Looking to move from a 14-yr-old 54g to a 90-150ish g set up. Considering either the 30"/93 g or 36"/150g). Maybe a 48x24 g.

Anyway, I have battled high phosphates forever and not been real aggressive about keeping them under control. My interest in the hobby had waned for some time and I had just been doing the bare minimum. I have recently become re-energized and gotten back into the hobby. I would like to create a mixed reef tank and have already purchased a few frags (including some SPS) that I have found along the way. FWIW at this point, my current tank is acting as a frag tank to stock my new tank. I do not have trouble with algae. The rocks are clean. The front glass does get dirty w algae and I have to clean every few days (I belive this to be normal) - no hair, bubble or anything else. All of my frags seem to be doing very well. Color has remained, polyps are extended and they are showing signs of growth - some were fresh frags that are now growing off of the plug.

I have been reading up on phosphate control. I read an article in Advanced Aquarist that concerned me. It stated live rock can absorb phosphates when left in a tank with chronically high phosphates. This live rock will then be a constant source of phosphates for a long time (whatever that means) and the tank owner will be unable to ever really get them under control until live rock has been exhausted of all phosphates. My original plan was to reuse my live rock as it is already paid for, covered in corraline algae, fully cycled, lots of cool mini feather dusters/sponges, clams, etc . . .

Current Tank Parameters:
pH 8.2
Alk 11
Nitrates - 0.25
Phosphates 0.25 - 0.5 (this is with using phosphate absorbing pads or phosban in a bag in the sump - hit or miss).
Ca 420
Mg 1040 (working on bringing this up slowly with BRS bulk supply)

I don't remember my PO4 ever being higher than 0.5 - 1.0 and these numbers were a few years ago. But there were periods that I was really ignoring my tank and not even testing. So, could have been higher. I don't remember ever having a algae bloom. The live rock is at least 25 years old. Yes, I started as an infant :yes:

I have recently bought 2 BRS reactors (thanks, Alcatoe) and am ordering GFO & Carbon to get them up and running. I've never used before so will give it a try. I am going to toss all the sand and start over with new sand. I also want to add chaeto to my sump but in my new system. Current system does not have room for a refugium - although I could toss it into DT and just know that I'll need to replace it as critters eat it up.

My question to all of you is how big of a deal is this really? Do the benefits of using my established live rock outweigh the downside of fighting phosphates for however long it takes to leach out? Or, should I ditch the liverock and start over?

Thanks for any and all thoughts!!

Heather

PS - If you'd like to weigh in on pros/cons of 90 gal vs 150 gal, I'll accept that advice too. How much harder/$$ is the maintenance really for that extra 60 gal. It will give me added stability but a bit scared to get in over my head. Also after reading about JC_k's troubles (thanks for sharing JC_k, learning), can I level either tank safely on carpet (concrete slab under carpet)?

If you're going to run gfo, I would say it won't be a problem.

If you plan to keep using phosphate remover, it shouldn't be an issue.

I have seen badly neglected long-term stuff leach for a long time, but if the rock was reasonably well maintained for most of its lifespan in captivity you should be OK.

We have maintained tanks that are in the 20-years running age bracket that are just fine.

Jenn

Go as big as you can practically maintain and afford.

You've been doing this for a long time. Longer than most of us here! I concur with the above about your rocks. If they're not giving you trouble now, I wouldn't expect them to in the future. Besides, you can always escalate your phosphate control procedures if that day were to unexpectedly arrive.

Levelness is non-negotiable however! Undoubtedly it can be done. :)

I love it when I get the answer that I wanted to hear. If you just look at the frags in the tank instead of the numbers, it looks very healthy. I'll give that more credence than the numbers and keep my live rock. Thanks folks. Any votes for 90 vs 150 g?

McPhock;957505 wrote: Go as big as you can practically maintain and afford.

You've been doing this for a long time. Longer than most of us here! I concur with the above about your rocks. If they're not giving you trouble now, I wouldn't expect them to in the future. Besides, you can always escalate your phosphate control procedures if that day were to unexpectedly arrive.

Levelness is non-negotiable however! Undoubtedly it can be done. :)

Just saw your vote for bigger. Again, the right answer ;). Thanks

It sounds like you have received great advice already... your rock should be good to go as long as add gfo from the beginning and keep nutrient removal systems equal to nutrient input into tank.

great plan.

Tank wise, it won't really be any harder the bigger you go. The husbandry practices will be the same. You'll probably want to make a water mixing station if you haven't already (5 gallon buckets and big tanks are a headache). Only con to bigger is the black hole it installs in your bank account.

Back