Photon reefbreeders

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
Has anyone used a reefbreeders photon? What are your thoughts?
Reefman?
I want led to work for me, I really do, but the general market for led just doesn't impress me.

Looking for something that will offer corals what they need, even if it is a little known brand or even a diy.

It sure would be nice not to have to spend $225 / 8 months on t5 lamps;)

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sold on them. I have the photon 48 and it has performed exceptionally well (18 months). I can't compare it to other LED'S, so I'm very limited in my experience. However, I have seen great color and growth with it.

The. The voice in my head whispers....... 250w radion w magnetic ballasts.....

Bcavalli;1029373 wrote: I'm sold on them. I have the photon 48 and it has performed exceptionally well (18 months). I can't compare it to other LED'S, so I'm very limited in my experience. However, I have seen great color and growth with it.

Can I ask what is growing? Softies? Sps? Clams....? What?

Thanks
B

I have used both reefbreeders and radions. I was very pleased with both but to me the investment in radions was worth it. I have a mixed reef and actually feel like my sps is growing better than my lps and softies.

Half the corals in my tank came from Brett so maybe all the success is due to his skill and his reefbreeder light!

Mixed reef lps softies clam sps phantom 24 on 36 inch tank. Best lights I've owned

I have used Radions and AIs. IMO the AIs are worth the price. Easy control, great color, and good growth. I keep mainly LPS and softies, and have kept some SPS aswell.

Haven't used one yet but I'm going down the Photon 48 route. Also they are going to be having a sale soon, most likely beginning of May. If history is right it should drop the price about 50$, they run sales about every 2-3 months.

SnowManSnow;1029375 wrote: Can I ask what is growing? Softies? Sps? Clams....? What?

Thanks
B

I have Sps, Lps, chalices and a dersa. Pretty much everything you could imagine.

you know ive been running diy for a long time now and love them but on my new build[185g peninsula]im going with the reefbreeder 48 long.i bought the 60w but returned it for the 48 long.i didnt like only having a remote control for controlling it like the 60w offers.
Adam at Battle Corals gave me a ringing endorsement on the reefbreeder lines,says he loves his so im giving them a shot.i cant speak on their effectiveness because i havent even plugged it in,im still building the room for the tank.
leds have came a long way since i built mine 4 years ago.

oldedb;1029378 wrote: I have used both reefbreeders and radions. I was very pleased with both but to me the investment in radions was worth it. I have a mixed reef and actually feel like my sps is growing better than my lps and softies.

Half the corals in my tank came from Brett so maybe all the success is due to his skill and his reefbreeder light!

Thank you JD. A great combo for me has been the Reefbreeder and the Gyre. If money wasn't an issue I would definitely go with the Radions.

I have two photon 32's on my 210gal. I have t5's on order that I'm going to add to them. I still don't think led alone can compete with mh or t5's....

I had Reef Breeders for 6 months, T5 for 6 months, and back to the halides.... IMO halides are the most consistent, best shimmer, and most natural. Great growth with them and T5. LEDs had the least growth, and color changed. I recommend, halides and LED supplement and evening color pop.... But look at World Wide.... T5 for most growth and color.... And again, LEDs for supplement and color pop..

Just my $.02

Well, I KNOW I can grow stuff with t5 :) People WAAAY underestimate the little tubes..

As tempting and sexy as leds are, though, I'm leaning toward 250w MH for my 16" deep tank on this build. I may change my mind, but I'm just not an LED guy yet... That being said I wasn't a T5 guy before I had t5s either haha

I also know that lighting is only a small factor in a reef's success. There are a LOT of things that go into a successful reef, some of it is adequate equipment, some of it is husbandry, and some of it is just plain having a green thumb (I've met some who do:)_

Back