PHOTONE - Smartphone PAR readings - thoughts?

Looks cool. It will work with testing lights that are off a tank or before it is filled. Once there's water in the tank, um, well, I won't be sticking my phone in every time I want to take a reading. :eek:😮

Looks cool. It will work with testing lights that are off a tank or before it is filled. Once there's water in the tank, um, well, I won't be sticking my phone in every time I want to take a reading. :eek:😮
Lol people on r2r are putting it in a ziplock bag to dunk it. Or you can buy one of those water proof bags made for phones while you’re at the beach of on a boat.

I mean… I’ve proven my iPhone is fine in the ocean… on accident…. But still proven:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been watching the thread over at reef2reef cause I would love an inexpensive way to measure PAR but I haven’t seen anyone confirm how accurate this is by comparing it to a PAR meter.

I’ve downloaded the app & am looking forward to comparing it to my Apogee & Seneye. I have a few things competing for my time, like a day job, wife & working as a volunteer for some fish club ;)

Attachments

• E2A71078-927D-46C0-A490-B6E160CD4CC8.png
    E2A71078-927D-46C0-A490-B6E160CD4CC8.png
    235.9 KB · Views: 10
I do have a map of
My par readings from an apogee I rented from BrS

Could get it and compare

To be honest reliable readily available par readings are WAAAAAAAYYYYY overdue in the hobby. It isn’t something we need all the time, but it sure is useful when getting things dialed in

To be honest reliable readily available par readings are WAAAAAAAYYYYY overdue in the hobby. It isn’t something we need all the time, but it sure is useful when getting things dialed in

The camera's in our phones are cheap. Like dirt cheap when bought in bulk.
There's no reason a product couldn't be made for under $200. It's just be the software needed to display the results.

Fwiw,
It’s not just the commodity hardware we pay for. Especially with technical products, like a quantum photometer, with limited market size/appeal. There’s also the R&D, testing, code, app development, production, tech support, marketing, etc.

I downloaded the app and tried it with my iPhone X . I followed the instructions useing the paper as a diffuser and 1/2 inch piece of pvc. Didn’t have a par meter to compare it to but didn’t matter. Readings were not consistent, from same location was getting extremely different readings. If someone else can make the thing work accurately please post.

I downloaded the app and tried it with my iPhone X . I followed the instructions useing the paper as a diffuser and 1/2 inch piece of pvc. Didn’t have a par meter to compare it to but didn’t matter. Readings were not consistent, from same location was getting extremely different readings. If someone else can make the thing work accurately please post.
Did you select the setting that matches your light? I believe it charges for LED tho

Back