phyto - anyone growing or dosing it?

civics14

Market
Reaction score
Anyone growing phyto? And anyone dosing it to your tank?

Since I don't have a refugium for my pods, I was thinking of dosing phyto to help boost their population. Only concern is nutrients in the tank and how much it affected it. Any personal experience out there?

I know that our very own @dball711 doses phyto. He can tell you the brand and quantity but I know he doses it for sure.

A lot of people dose phyto. One of our local sponsors grows 4 or 5 different varieties. Heisenberg Aquatics.

I use reef nutrition Live Phyto daily. See Jin’s note about Heisenberg Aquatics, they’re local and have a great product (I’ve used their phyto with good results).

Reef Nutrition - I add 5 drops in my 60g mixed frag tank and 6 drops in my 80 SPS dominant display daily. I believe coral growth and overall health are better since I have been dosing this (about 2 years now) than prior when I did not dose phyto.

Corals need food to survive, thrive and grow, it’s part of the food chain so dosing it only makes sense. Just don’t overdo it.

Sounds like coral nutrition might just make a good topic for a future club meeting. I know it’s something I get asked about all the time.

I use reef nutrition Live Phyto daily. See Jin’s note about Heisenberg Aquatics, they’re local and have a great product (I’ve used their phyto with good results).

Reef Nutrition - I add 5 drops in my 60g mixed frag tank and 6 drops in my 80 SPS dominant display daily. I believe coral growth and overall health are better since I have been dosing this (about 2 years now) than prior when I did not dose phyto.

Corals need food to survive, thrive and grow, it’s part of the food chain so dosing it only makes sense. Just don’t overdo it.

Sounds like coral nutrition might just make a good topic for a future club meeting. I know it’s something I get asked about all the time.
Do you dose it right into your tank or do you do it manually?

I add it manually every morning with the regular feeding. The reef nutrition requires refrigeration so using a doser won’t work. I broadcast feed with pumps on.

@dball711 is that Live Phyto same as someone would culture grow phytoplankton l or different stuff?

I do not know for sure but I would imaging it is if its live. Google Reef Nutrition and check out their products page, they offer a short video on the live vs. non live phyto products.

From thier web site...
Phyto-Feast® Live has the same algae as Phyto-Feast but is handled with special care. Phyto-Feast Live is harvested and shipped fresh each week and has better short-term cell viability. It contains a blend of the most important marine microalgae, those chosen by universities and hatcheries for their superior nutritional value: Pavlova, Isochrysis, Thalassiosira weissflogii, Tetraselmis, Nannochloropsis, and Synechococcus.
With six species in 5 classes, both Phyto-Feast and Phyto-Feast Live provide a diversity of Phyto-pigments, lipids, omega-3 fatty acids, amino acids, carbohydrates and cell sizes. Reed Mariculture's proprietary harvesting and stabilizing processes keep cells intact and insures that the maximum amount of nutrients get to your animals.

from their Q&A section...
Is Phyto-Feast Live Really Alive?
YES – Phyto Feast Live is ALIVE! Over 95% of the cells are alive when bottled and much of it will stay alive for several months. For more details, check out the viability report from the CCMP

Does Live Algae Make a Difference?
Yes and No. Cell integrity is critical. Live cells are a clear indication of quality, intact and unprocessed cells. However, microalgae can often retain these qualities when handled properly, whether viable or not.

Can I see Phyto-Feast Live swimming under my microscope?
No. Many kinds of algae do not swim. Other kinds "swim" by the beating of flagella. As a survival response algae lose their flagella under certain conditions - such as during the harvesting process. The flagella don't grow back so you won't see any of the algae swimming.

Also see the Phyto-Feast FAQ for more infomation

Not sure why my stuff haven't shipped yet, but I ordered the 5280 pod and OceanMagik. My mandarin is getting skinny, so hopefully this helps boost the pod population.

He use to do fine, but as my other wrasses get bigger, they out compete him hunting for pods.

Long term, I need to think of a way to add a fuge into my system.

I’ve heard of some folks having success with a hang on the back fuge, thinking that can work on a sump or display.

Back