Phytoplankton Culture

ddaddy2420

Market
Reaction score
For all you guys out there that culture you own phyto, have you ever seen it turn into a bright green color as opposed to that dark green color that it usually looks like? I had some early success with the DT's phyto and was able to initially grow my own phyto. The sample turned dark green and looked great. Here recently I have had 2 crashes and then 1 sample turn a bright green. Was just curious about this before i decided to either throw it out or use it. I'll try and snap a pic of it when i get home.

Dale

a>

Mine always gets dark and after 2 weeks I split it. If you are having crashes it is possible you are having alot of evaporation and salinity climbs and phyto dies. I make a mark and if I notice any evaporation I fill back up to line with fresh water. I usually do this once a week.

merkywater;842981 wrote: Mine always gets dark and after 2 weeks I split it. If you are having crashes it is possible you are having alot of evaporation and salinity climbs and phyto dies. I make a mark and if I notice any evaporation I fill back up to line with fresh water. I usually do this once a week.

Well merkywater nailed it, I was having lots of evaporation and wasn't topping it off. Ever since I started topping off I have had 0 crashes. Have started 3 batches since and all look great.

Does anyone in my area have any of this that I could get to start a culture? thanks mike

Where do u live? Any fish store probably has some, I know Blueplanet has DTs which is great to start it with.

Thanks ddaddy...I live in the loganville area.....I have one of our sponsor stores I deal with...I will ask them....I did not think of that.

Back