Pineapple sponges? Good?

hn1

Market
Reaction score
Can you confirm my suspicions? I just noticed these. From what I've been able to find, they are good if my ID is right? Right?

DSC_0001.jpg
alt="" />

DSC_0002.jpg
alt="" />

OMG, please excuse the algae! It looks alot worse with zoom. lol

Barbara;314893 wrote: Yep, that's what they are. And they're fine. Good filter feeders. How long has your tank been set up? I noticed I got those at about 6 months, and then they went away a few months later.

Right at 4 months. Thanks for the confirmation! :)

Barbara;314893 wrote: Yep, that's what they are. And they're fine. Good filter feeders. How long has your tank been set up? I noticed I got those at about 6 months, and then they went away a few months later.

I agree with Barbara. These sponges are harmless filter feeders that tend to wax and wane with time. You will often see some kind of peak in their numbers then they will decline until there's only a few left. At least, that has been my experience.

I have noticed some sponges similar to these in my 55 but they are a light blue bordering on green. I have tried to ID them as i have no idea what they are and have been unsuccessful in naming them. but they don't seem to hurt anything as far as i can tell.

I used to have a few hundred of those in the sump. One day they just exploded, and it was right around the 4 month mark. Now, 2 months later, I'm down to maybe a few dozen in there.

Same here... Meelv's reef talks about it and different things that are bad and good for your tank "Critters".

zavala83;314945 wrote: Same here... Meelv's reef talks about it and different things that are bad and good for your tank "Critters".

Matching info on Melev's and WWM is what I based my tentatitve ID on.

Thanks all! Sites are great, but I love hearing real time personal experiences.

Yay for ARC. :yay:

I may need your help in a new thread shortly... I think I had my first skirmish of chemical warfare tonight when moving shrooms. :eek:

stacy22;314979 wrote: Mushrooms do NOT play well with others! :D

I had no idea.... everyone's privvy to watching total newbness. lol

Do mushrooms heal well? I had to move some that are attached to a shell (ric encroahing & both pissed) and it had partially attached to a neighboring rock. I ripped it a bit when I move the shell with the shrooms on it. I'm so freaked out atm. :wow2:

Mushrooms are probably one of the most indestructable. I have heard stories of people putting them in a blender and making colonies... Your fine. Don't sweat it.

Back