Pineapple Sponges

kirru

Market
Reaction score
I know they are a good benefit to the tank but they are starting to over run my tank. I read they go through cycles but this cycle has been producing a bunch of them and my corals are starting to be affected by them as they are growing on them... what is a natural way to remove them? Is there are fish or invert that will take care of them?

Anyone? I'm headed to SWC an Creation so I guess I'll see if they can help a little.

I have a lot of them in my various tanks, but they all stay in the dark so I'm surprised you're getting them on corals. Most of mine are in the sumps and the few that are in the displays are under overhangs where there is very little light. Did you post a picture of them? Maybe they are a different variety than what I have.

Yea, I posted a pic but let me find it on photo bucket again and I'll post it here.

P2251622.jpg
alt="" />
P2251617.jpg
alt="" />

They are completely beneficial. They should be growing on </em>any corals. Maybe next to them, but they do not produce inhibiting substances. They will filter the water, and can remove silicates quite readily. I viote to leave them!

Ok, well I do have to say they were growing on the corals. My kenya tree and one on it. took me forever to find it during the day but clear as day it was about a half inch from the base up the stalk. the others are growing on some GSP and it is restricting them from opening and they are constantly spitting something slime stuff out

I don't see any in the first picture but definitely in the second with a lot of other sponge as well. That surface must not get a lot of light. As Jeremy said they are beneficial and I'm sure he meant they shouldn't be growing on any corals.

I looked at the first pictue again and do see them in the GSP. I'd pick off the ones that you see actually affecting corals but leave the rest alone. There must be something in your display they like. I have tons of them in my sump but have to turn rocks over to see any in the display.

i bet whatever it is they like is good. they are in my sump, overflow rocks, and it wouldn't surprise me if they are in the piping which i am sure they are for all of us

Back