Pink birds nest

jeep9783

Market
Reaction score
Ok so i have had this birds nest for about a month now (not seeing any pink) all that i see is brown pollips coming out and not pink like kappa's (i got mine from him) i have 400w (250halide 15k) and 150 actinic, what am i doing wrong all levels test perfect with 460cal what am i doing wrong or is my birds nest just being stuburn?

It should go back to pink pretty soon. set the thing all the way up. Me and some folks here were just talking about browing of corals.

try moving it down some and then slowly move it to the top or closer to the light were you see that it is starting to react also how much flow do you have in your tank if im not mistaken birds nest is a sps and requiers alot of flow good luck though

33 display and 10 sump mag 5 in sump and 1900gph in powerheads in tank

Very true. Good bulb and bad bulb matter a hellalot. My POS china made 20k lasted 3 months before i went with Iwasaki. A 400w bulb can put out 40% less par or more on the exact same setup when compared to a quality bulb.

I got the same pink birdnest from Kappa and stuck it 11" directly under a 250w 14k HQI bulb and it's still pink. Maybe is bleached due to drastic change in tank conditions or your bulb is not putting out the par needed. I don't know if I trust the stock bulb in that fixture.

yea I had the same unit, the stock bulb is fine as long as you change it out in 6-9 months. It can't put out that low of a par that the coral is turning brown. Chris, I would check your nitrate and pH and Alk. Post those numbers. Wait 5 mins for the nitrate test man!!!! ;)

just my opinion, but....

the light he's got is tight for that cube. 400watts of actinic pcs would probobly be allright on that cube (jk, but still that tank is only 18").

high nutrients will brown them out to0 right? i know when i mesh modded my octopus and the skimmer bubbled over everything got a little browner in my 46 including my birdsnest... everything tested fine just like normal but everything still turned brown. after that first few days the octo figured itself out started skimming again and it took another 3 or 4 for everything to lose that brown tinge. i've got a e.r on that thing too and it was skimming just as normal during the brown period.

that and i thought i remember something about a seaclone somewhere.

Back