PinPoint Monitor

navyreefer

Market
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried the PinPoint Calcium monitor? I was thinking of getting one and working up to getting the whole line of monitors. Thoughts? Do they work?

a>

some people like them, some don't. Apparently, calibration is a PITB.

calcium levels fluctuate rather slowly. By everyday observations of the tank, you should be able to tell if there is a calcium deficiency. I'm not saying it's not important to measure and know the exact ppm that your tank is running at but calcium levels will stay relatively stable as long as you maintain your alk and mg.

i considered purchasing one for a long time but a lot of people end up dumping them because they simply don't use it enough. i'd use the money to buy/upgrade a controller.

Unless you are dialing in a reactor or something, it isn't worth it. I own one and it was useful for getting my reactor going, but you have to calibrate every few weeks as it drifts quickly.

I am hooking up my Calc reactor this weekend and the thing worries the hell out of me....I know I am going to nuke my tank.

Any notes of wisdom on hooking it up? Things to watch out for?

Have the following: CR-100 from Octo, 5 lb Co2, Milwaukee SMS122
Picking up Fri: A Milwaukee regulator and planning on using ARM media. Should I get Coarse or fine media?

I like the coarse media since it has less chance to turn to mush. Start off slow is my advice. Start with a slow drip into your sump from the reactor and start with a few bubbles in the counter. You can slowly increase/decrease the bubble count and drip rate each day until you get it right where you want it. Think in terms of days not hours.

Forget the calcium probe, it requires recalibration on a fairly regular basis, and is not an instrument to be used for continuous monitoring. I have one and it is the worst $285 USD I ever spent. Love the pH meters and the pH controller, but the Ca++ probe is only good if you have a number of tests to do all at one time (like several separate systems), then it's a good idea so long as you rinse the probe well in RO/DI or distilled water between tests.

As far as info on the Ca++ reactor setup, you might want to read the posts at http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108831"> THIS LINK </a>, I post the link rather than retype all the info here, there are several links to different setups and the experiences of many from beginning to end of 4 different setups in this thread. It is easier to set up your reactor with a pH controller to control th pH inside the reactor recirculation loop than to gradually titrate your rates and eflluent flows based on effluent testing, and with a second column to scrub out the excess CO2 so that you don't end up acidifying your tank with any excess CO2.

Post specific questions here in this thread, I'll check back every day or so for a while.

Back