Piscine Energetics

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
this stuff is great my fish go nuts over it even my mandiran eats it he wont eat any other prepaired foods thanks cam for asking sam to order this stuff and sam for supplying it

I have only been using for a couple weeks but it is good stuff. My fish are looking fatter and happier than ever.

I switched from Hikari to PE Mysis around a year ago and have never looked back. It is obvious by how meaty it is, as to how good the shrimp are.

My fish love the shrimp.

Matt

Yeah it is freshwater though which is a very good thing. They have significantly more protein per gram than saltwater mysis.

Cameron;110149 wrote: Yeah it is freshwater though which is a very good thing. They have significantly more protein per gram than saltwater mysis.
18% more protein at 2-3 times the price....

I have been feeding it for a long time. I have yet to find a fish, coral or invert that doesn't love the stuff...

SuAsati;110151 wrote: 18% more protein at 2-3 times the price....
Huh!?! PE Mysis is 69% per gram. Hikari is about 10%. A flat pack of PE is $12 while hikari is $5. Since there is almost 7x the protein in PE Mysis you are getting a much better deal.

Not only that but it's much cleaner and dense. In a typical hikari pack if you melt it and drain the water you lose at least 25% volume. These guys are full mysis that stay full and therfore go into your fish rather then the water column as dissolved nutrients!

That is why the measurements of protein are the way they are. Hikari freezes them in salt water and that "bloats" the weight of the package and lowers overall protein content by gram because their is so much water. PE flash freezes their mysis which keeps the water content very low thus most of the package is shrimp and the protein by gram goes way up. Freshwater mysis probably don't have much more protein than saltwater mysis if you weighed and measured before processing, but because of the way PE packages each pack contains more protein per gram even though the mysis likely aren't that much more nutritious. I believe this is mainly due to the fact they aren't using salt water. I would guess salt water probably creates problems with flash freezing.

a>

Cameron;110179 wrote: Huh!?! PE Mysis is 69% per gram. Hikari is about 10%. A flat pack of PE is $12 while hikari is $5. Since there is almost 7x the protein in PE Mysis you are getting a much better deal.

You may want to check what it says 69% protein dry weight, regular mysis is 53% dry weight....

What difference does dry weight make when you buy the stuff wet?

16OZ of frozen Hikari saltwater Mysis cost around $8.50 and is 10.5% protien. $5.06 per oz of protien.

16OZ of frozen PE freshwater mysis costs around $22.00 and is 69.5% protien. $1.98 per oz of protien.

Am I missing something here?

Schwaggs;110238 wrote: What difference does dry weight make when you buy the stuff wet?

16OZ of frozen Hikari saltwater Mysis cost around $8.50 and is 10.5% protien. $5.06 per oz of protien.

16OZ of frozen PE freshwater mysis costs around $22.00 and is 69.5% protien. $1.98 per oz of protien.

Am I missing something here?

Yes, you are. Total protein content on Hikari is (.105 * 16)oz on the other hand total protein content on PE is not (.69 *16)oz, hard to say how much though cause they don't list the moisture content on the package. BTW if you want High protein diet, there are lot others that will fair better, but the thing with PE is fish seem to readily eat it... which is always a + with saltwater fish keeping.

SuAsati;110246 wrote: Yes, you are. Total protein content on Hikari is (.105 * 16)oz on the other hand total protein content on PE is not (.69 *16)oz, hard to say how much though cause they don't list the moisture content on the package. BTW if you want High protein diet, there are lot others that will fair better, but the thing with PE is fish seem to readily eat it... which is always a + with saltwater fish keeping.

What about the fat ratios since the Mysis is a freshwater critter?

I remember reading that goldfish were popular for lionfish but not so good for them because they ended up giving the lions "fatty liver disease".

Also, there is something about the DHA ratios versus Omega 3's etc -- the fats that would be gotten from the marine foodchain up from the phyto.

The mysis may be different because they are crustaceans, but I figured I would ask, because it sounds like a really great product and convenient, if a bit expensive (but then so is everything else in this hobby).

Clever marketing. I was reading the protein per gram like a food label. A bit of digging finds about 5% less water per package, a slightly higher protein per gram content (10% compared to 11%) and another 2-3% more fat. There is also no salt weighing down the water, but not sure in such small portions that adds up to a sizeable number.

If those numbers (which are foggy at best) hold true, at best PE Mysis is no more than 10% as good as Hikari or the like so it isn't a very good deal actually.

I have contacted PE to see if I can get the amount of water per package or the real numbers per gram.

It is still a very good food otherwise their prices wouldn't have sky rocketed. Couple of years ago I could get an 8oz packet for 6bucks. I tried it for my Discus once but never went back for some reason. Just don't use it exclusively. I do think it is packed in tight, so you are probably getting more for the same 8oz pack than other brands.

Back