pistal shrimp id

fishgardener

Market
Reaction score
I got a new coral today and when I dipped it, out came this one inch shrimp/lobster like creature. It has one tiny claw and one massive claw. It looks like a pistal shrimp in body style, but I can't find a pic that looks quite like it. Its abdomin is striped sort of like a bumblebee shrimp, but with pistal shrimp claws. Does this sound like anything anyone recognizes? It is in a 2 qt. container at the moment in QT. Is it good or bad? I don't think I can get a good pic of it with my camera- I'm sorry
Sheryle

Could be a candy pistol what color are the stripes are they red and white or black and yellow or what?

Wet Web Media - quite a few pics http://www.wetwebmedia.com/shrimpidfaqs.htm">here</a>.

Any of these?

Barbara;204465 wrote: It was a very strange looking creature. A little less than an inch long, white to clear-ish, with black stripes on it's body and tail. One giant pincher that looked like Popeye's forearm, and one skinny pincher. It looked a lot more like a lobster than a shrimp, but we really couldn't tell. It was a hitchhiker off one of the corals she bought at SWC coral auction. Very strange looking creature. I was guessing pistol shrimp or baby mantis, but I was totally guessing. It could be something else altogether. You know of anything similar, or anything that matches the description?

Sounds exactly like a pistol. I wouldnt be worried.

Non of the pictures on wet web media matched it. I think it is interesting, but I don't want to introduce anything bad. Could it be a baby lobster?
Sheryle

go to liveaquaria.com and see if you see it. Also check divers den in the same site. Without a pic??? Who knows? Also check the rest of wetwebmedia under different crustations.

Less than an inch is still a baby, coloration will come with time. Pretty sure it is a pistol shrimp and you should not worry. I think they are a great addition to any reef.

Back