pistol shrimp behavior

dannyafoster

Market
Reaction score
ok so i have a yellow pistol shrimp paired with a yellow watchman goby and they have taken up a home under a rock. nothing abnormal here. that being said today me and my wife witnessed him gathering my extra shells for my hermits. thought maybe he was just a clepto turns out hes an architect. he stacked them to create basically a cover for the entrance of the rock they live under. he basically has created a small tunnel with shells then he covered them with sand so it blends in. Is this normal? It seems now i have to get more shells because he used all he could find.

I was talking about getting one of those last night hearing this story makes me wanna do it quicker haha😃

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I thought it was really cool just didn't know if he was special and maybe I would be rich lol

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

The more shells you put in, the more he will gather.

They're very entertaining to watch. They are real little workers, tirelessly digging and maintaining the burrow.

Jenn

So how am I suppose to keep shells for my hermits if he gathers them all

DannyaFoster;949387 wrote: So how am I suppose to keep shells for my hermits if he gathers them all

Take a piece of live rock and smash it into little pieces, give him that.

Or try some shells that aren't snail shells, like mollusk shells and such.

They're pack rats.

The hermits will find some shells - the pistol might run them off (and might kill a hermit or two) - that's just the circle of reef tank life.

Jenn

Ok lol if I put the shells on the other side of the tank I assume he wouldn't make itbover there to get them

DannyaFoster;949396 wrote: Ok lol if I put the shells on the other side of the tank I assume he wouldn't make itbover there to get them

He will find them in the middle of the night.... when he does exploring.

Back