PJ cardinals... why odd numbers?

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
I have one PJ in my tank, and it seems to be doing just fine. Reading on WWM, it is stated that solo PJs don't thrive and have even shown wasting. I like this fish and planned to get another before I read this anyway.

The writer said to keep 3 or 5. What is wrong with a pair (not mated)? Or four for that matter? I would assume it has to do with aggression, but I'd like to understand what happens.

Barry, I have had a pair spawning in my 210 that I have had for a couple of years. I think that a group of 3 to 5 helps to ensure that there is less agression if you do not have a pair with just two. Sexing is not obvious so it can be hard to make a pair by just addding one fish. Good luck!

I call "shenanigans" on that whole odd number thing. It can be an even number.

jmaneyapanda;335122 wrote: I call "shenanigans" on that whole odd number thing. It can be an even number.

That was actually my inclination, too, but I'm just "noob" enough to look for some backup.

Thats an old wives tale that has proliferated for years, with no real evidence that I can decipher.

Now I understand the theory, but I guess it's just hard to imagine any aggression out of these fish. I've never seen a fish that acts so meek.

cr500_af;335137 wrote: Now I understand the theory, but I guess it's just hard to imagine any aggression out of these fish. I've never seen a fish that acts so meek.
Dont be decieved. Cardinals will kill one another. Try putting a group of Bangaiis together. Once a pair is established, they are brutal on potential rivals.

I've had one and only in my tank from the start. It has grown and flourished and seems perfectly happy to be in there alone. He doesn't associate with some of the other fish but hangs around with some of the others.

PJ cardinals can be very aggressive indeed. IMO if you put in 3-5 you will most likely end up with 2 (pair) unless it is a very large tank. Will you be able to get them out if you see aggression and have a place for them then? Just my .02

I think I may just adopt the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. The PJ is eating well and pretty active (for a PJ, anyway).

I have one Bangaii and I know better than to add another, though I wish that would work.... they are one of the coolest looking fish out there IMO.

bratliff;335290 wrote: I think the PJ will be fine by himself. I just wanted a small "school" of fish. I had a Bengaii, but, I took him back to the fish store as he started terrorizing the PJ instantly. I wish I could keep a Bengaii too, but, don't wanna try it again. He'd be impossible to catch in my new tank.

My Bangaii doesn't bother anybody, but at feeding time he is boss. I had to start thawing frozen food, or he'd just swallow the whole chunk frozen before it started to come apart. I don't guess it causes discomfort, or maybe he's just a slow learner!

The other day the PJ did, however, come up and take a chunk right out of the Bangaii's mouth and swim away with it. I don't know which surprised me more, his nerve or the Bangaii letting it slide.

munchkin;335190 wrote: I've had one and only in my tank from the start. It has grown and flourished and seems perfectly happy to be in there alone. He doesn't associate with some of the other fish but hangs around with some of the others.

Same thing here. I put 3 in a little over a year ago and the one i have now is anti-social i guess. Had to take the other 2 out. The 1 left has a good appetite, color and hangs out under an overhang with the CBS.

So...is the PJ referred to in this post the one you got from me, Barry? How's he doin? He took food away? Must've been something he learned from living with the hellspawn maroon clown. Haha.

Matt

Matt,
Yep, that's him. He is a real loner... he hangs around the right side of the tank right near the powerhead, ALL the time. Unless he's eating, it's 100% that that's where he is. He has never hung out with any other fish. I've been on vacation since Saturday and the only reason I'm not bummed about going home today is that I want to check on how my guys are doing.

Back