Playing with an idea... need to be talked out of it ;)

kirru

Market
Reaction score
I have been toying with the idea of using the 10g I had set-up (that no one wants to buy) as a community frag type tank.

My idea would be to set it up, plumb it in to my 40br and 20l sump and run a frag tank.... the idea would be to house good unique or regular, realitvily easy to keep for beginners and advanced aquarist as well....

It would be to grow and harvest those corals for use with new and old members, mostly new for like an introductory type thing.

Anyway, I have just been toying with it and not sure if I should or not... I wouldn't be able to fund it all myself of course but just an idea.

Maybe needs some restrictions as well, so many frags per person or whatever... let me know what you think.

:lol2:

I know but I really need that tank gone before I really become like everyone else and start having more than one tank :D

I have even played with the idea of getting another tank but I could never afford it. one is enough

Meh, I say set it up as a nano for one fish. I have my 75, my 10 that just had its diatom bloom, and I'm considering taking down my 55 freshwater community to make room for a 40 gallon wrasse/SPS setup.

Honestly, I don't think a 10G would really provide enough frags to make it worth while as a club venture, but if it's just something you wanted to do on your own, go for it!

Hurry up and get that going... I'm paying my $30 this weekend.
Just kidding!
If I was confident in my skills to keep a tank that small healthy, I'd do it as a nano also. As it is, I don't trust myself with a 10g other than a quarantine tank.

I kept the tank as a 10g nano w/a 2.5g fuge of 5 months before I went larger. didn't lose anything so I feel confident but I'm going to drill and plumb in to my larger system that way all the params are the same and easier to do water changes.

but i don't want to have 2 tank next to each other other than as a frag tank and I wouldn't know what to keep in my 10 that i already have ;)

I'd buy a Figure 8 brackish water puffer and ramp him up to full saltwater, a small one would do well in that tank, and they are cool!

Be very careful about drilling a 10g and plumbing it into your system. one wrong bump and that thin glass will turn your 10g into a tidal wave. I would strongly advise against drilling the 10 and look for something with thicker glass or acrylic or find a cheap overflow box.

Memories. That's what I did almost 20yrs ago. Awesome experience. The other was a mono, but that got toooo big, but is like having a cheap active tuna in your tank that will eat anything. Very active. Figure 8's will eat anything to.
Dakota9;321246 wrote: I'd buy a Figure 8 brackish water puffer and ramp him up to full saltwater, a small one would do well in that tank, and they are cool!

How do you make it go fully salt? I may do that. have some coral in the tank to or no? hmm, dang ya'll i ain't supposed to set up another tank!!!!!! :D hopefully it sells before I get the notion to do it

This is a little off topic but over 30 years ago I went the other way with a striped damsel. He was the only salt fish I had left and I read some stupid article that they had some success in converting a striped to fresh water. I put him in a 5 gallon with an under gravel filter, air pump and heater. Every couple of days I would take out a cup of the salt water and replace it with fresh water (from the tap with dechlorinator). After about 5 months the water was almost 0 salt. I put him in a 30 gallon with angel fish and some other assorted fish. He lived for at least another 6 months eating fine with the other fish. Maybe if I new what I was doing back then it wouldn't have worked. Heater stuck on the 30 and lost almost all the fish in that tank including the damsel bit the big one.

KR561;321313 wrote: i want to do a seahorse tank in my family room
That would be cool, couldn't keep the water cold enough I think, for me at least.

oldschool52;321308 wrote: This is a little off topic but over 30 years ago I went the other way with a striped damsel. He was the only salt fish I had left and I read some stupid article that they had some success in converting a striped to fresh water. I put him in a 5 gallon with an under gravel filter, air pump and heater. Every couple of days I would take out a cup of the salt water and replace it with fresh water (from the tap with dechlorinator). After about 5 months the water was almost 0 salt. I put him in a 30 gallon with angel fish and some other assorted fish. He lived for at least another 6 months eating fine with the other fish. Maybe if I new what I was doing back then it wouldn't have worked. Heater stuck on the 30 and lost almost all the fish in that tank including the damsel bit the big one.

Thats cool. So it would have lived longer if the heater would have not failed correct. Sounds interesting how you can convert fish like that.

yes it does dawgdude and thankfully while i had my 10 set up nothin went wrong, if you count cyano then yea that was wrong. i may set me up another one but not yet

Kirru;321272 wrote: How do you make it go fully salt? I may do that. have some coral in the tank to or no? hmm, dang ya'll i ain't supposed to set up another tank!!!!!! :D hopefully it sells before I get the notion to do it

Figure 8 is on http://liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=954">this page</a>. We had one in full salt but lost it during our recent fish calamity. We still have our spotted puffer (also brackish water) in full salt. He's doing fine in .025 salinity and eats like a little piglet. And nothing intimidates him -- he won't even let the niger triggerfish take his food. Cruises around the tank like a little mini-submarine. Way cool.

We bought our two little guys from Blue Planet and they were already acclimated to saltwater. Not difficult to do. If it's in brackish water when you get it, just gradually up the salinity with each water change until you have him at your reef level.

[IMG]http://liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-89577-puffer.jpg alt="" />

Kirru;321197 wrote: :lol2:

I really need that tank gone before I really become like everyone else and start having more than one tank :D

Well sorry, but that's pretty much inevitable.

:tongue2:

Linda Lee wrote:
Well sorry, but that's pretty much inevitable.

:tongue2:

I'm going to get my revenge on you :mad2::roll:

Maybe i need to scrap the ten and just go get another big tank to plumb right next to my 40br. hmmmmm............ I think a chest of drawers are useless, everything is on the floor.... my tank is somewhat cleaner than my room. lol

Cory, I started with ONE saltwater tank last summer. Now I have 3 at home and one at work. It WILL happen to you as Linda said. :D

Mmmm, I will make an effort for that not to happen. :D

but most likely i will fail, i may have one dedicated to corals.... that might be cool.

hijack, I really didn't like the puffers I had.. But then again I bought them from a petsmart. I was not told how aggressive the darn things got. Not only did they almost kill my 4 yr old angel fish, they nuked my 10g when one killed the other (I gave them a species only planted). Once one died, the toxins killed everything.

Mine may not have been a "figure 8" but it looked similar.

Back