Please help ID snail

nova65chic

Market
Reaction score
I was up late last night waiting for some friends of mine from Florida to arrive and I happened to glance into my tank around 3 am this morning and found this guy. I have had this tank for quite a few months now and this is my first time seeing this booger. He is about one inch long. Sorry for the crappy pics, I was heading to bed and just wanted to get a quick snap shot. There was a black tube coming out the one side that you can see a little in the picture. Thanks guys! :D

IMG_0334.jpg
alt="" />

i think hes right......i have quite a few of them in my tank but mine tend to just stay stuck to each other all the time haha

or could that be red foot snail?

not sure the real name but they were sold to me as something like giant red foot snail or something like that??

lol thanks :) It just kinda freaked me out since this is the first time I have seen this guy!

yeah i am deff. no expert in this hobby really not even reached amateur status yet haha but i am pretty sure you have nothing to worry about

FutureInterest;186350 wrote: I'm fairly certain that is a nassarius obsoleta.

I don't think so Jin....see here....shell on an obsoleta is smoother.....

a>

Does it look more like this? I'm may be wrong (my wife tells me that all the time so it won't be a shock!) but when I see these guys I pull 'em.

Description: Predatory whelk, Cantharus tinctus (used to be called Gemophus tinctus, Pollia tincta), that hitchhiked in on some live rock from Gulf-View. These are bad guys. This one's about 1/2".
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
186361=11321-Whelk2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
186361=11321-Whelk2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Whelk2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

crap, gwhiz I think that is what I have >< Now I gotta find it again. What do they eat?

Hmmm... yah obsoleta do tend to have smoother shells. Oh well good call George. :)

KK, he will have to go then, I have seen quite a few snail shells, but really didnt think anything about it since I have hermits too.

If you find shells with holes in 'em, it was probably this guy. They use that 'nose' to drill holes in the shell...

Back