Please Help ID this Monti?

greenhut

Market
Reaction score
Please Help ID this coral... Maybe some kind of Montipora Undata? It is about 6" tall and the base has a diameter of about 3"

Thanks!

jeff
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Not a undata, not for sure but a nice monty to say the least. Let me know if you drag it!

flyingarmy;138710 wrote: Not a undata, not for sure but a nice monty to say the least. Let me know if you drag it!

Sorry on the iPhone...... Frag!

Its hard to tell from the pic... but it doesn't look like that middle spire has a growth tip. So it appears to be some sort of encrusting montipora. It doesn't have the structure of an undata which has a much smoother appearance and lacks those spires and nodules around the leading edge. I'd guess its a type of peltiformes or possibly nodosa from the growth pattern? No idea though for certain... I've never seen bright teal polyps like that on a montipora other than an undata.

Regardless, its a nice specimen. The guys on reefcentral might have more of a clue.

Thanks for the info! It is not a growth tip. If it helps, my info was off - the diameter of the base is 6" too...

That sure is nice of you Barbara if I have any real bad stuff I will bring it to you. HA

Whatever it is... its pretty and it doesn't seem like a common species of encrusting Montipora. I'll trade yah :).

Back