Please help me choose to location of my 180g

spiderman097

Supporting
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm trying to think of the perfect place for my 180g. I have 3 locations picked out, I would love to have my plumbing in my basement so I can really nerd out without having all my equipment under my tank. However, 2 of the places will exit into the crawlspace and I'll have to run piping to the basement.

-If I choose the Breakfast Room, which is the best place for the tank, I'll have to run at least 20+ Feet of pipe to where I want to have my sump.
-If I place it in the dining room, I'll have to run at least 10+ Feet of pipe.
-And if I put it in the living room, I think the light would drive people crazy eventually who want to watch TV. But I won't have to run any extra pipe through a crawl space.
-Finally, I could place it in the breakfast nook but have the sump under the tank, but maintenance would be a pain.

Included are as many pictures of the areas and the under areas, let me know what you think.

Thank you!!

1. Breakfast Nook
2. Dining Room
3. Living Room
4. Breakfast nook with sump under Tank

White Arrows indicate where the plumbing would go.

Breakfast Nook
e9ed555.jpg
alt="" />

Under Breakfast Nook
c070c2f.jpg
alt="" />

Dining Room
c4eafc8.jpg
alt="" />

Under Dining Room
c1833b9.jpg
alt="" />

Living Room
c481aa8.jpg
alt="" />

Under Living Room
c308872.jpg
alt="" />

Sump Room
c407831.jpg
alt="" />

Floor Plan
c9212ce.jpg
alt="" />

What is the temp like in the crawl space in the winter and summer. For me as long add Temps are mild then I'd put it in the place wherw I enjoyed being more. I have a 7' fw tank in my living room that rarely has any concerns with light and the tv. Lights aren't as bright as a reef though. Either way, I'd put it in the room I prefer to be in.

It's difficult to vote because I (we) don't know where you would enjoy it the most. For me, that's the answer so the dining room would be out.

I've got mine in the breakfast area (installed tile floors here for this reason). This room is open to the family room. It's apx 30' from TV and has never been an issue.

Living room. You've got good support with the cinder block wall and based on the arrows you're crossing the joists perpendicularly. Less hassle running the piping too.

hzheng33;1086177 wrote: aren't you going to have some issues with supporting the tank in the dinning room and the living room? your joists are running parallel with the tank.

Sorry, no matter where I choose the joists will run parallel.

It looks like the joist run perpendicular to tank in the living room, no matter I would choose the living room. It is easy to sister another 2x10 on your existing joist.

grouper therapy;1086220 wrote: it looks like the joist run perpendicular to tank in the living room, no matter i would choose the living room. It is easy to sister another 2x10 on your existing joist.

+1

Back