PLEASE HELP - skimmer ?'s w/ pictures

jetchris

Market
Reaction score
ok i purchased a coralife super skimmer 65 for my 90g. The guy at the LFS said coralife skimmers are underated and that, that skimmer could handle 125g. Anyway I hooked it up like the directions said. It said to close the top valve "red circle dial" and adjust the bottom ball valve for flow inside the skimmer. The directions said to adjust water level to the bottom of the skimmer cup so i did and it just stayed stagnant for like 2 weeks ?? I have water coming out of the return through the "bubble diffuser" but the skimmer is not creating bubbles inside. What should I do ?? Attatched are pics

Thanks,
Chris
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
37828=2290-skim 1.jpg
>
37828=2290-skim 1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="skim 1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
37828=2291-skim 2.jpg
>
37828=2291-skim 2.jpg
class="gc-images" title="skim 2.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
37828=2292-skim 3.jpg
>
37828=2292-skim 3.jpg
class="gc-images" title="skim 3.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
37828=2293-skim 4.jpg
>
37828=2293-skim 4.jpg
class="gc-images" title="skim 4.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
37828=2294-skim 5.jpg
>
37828=2294-skim 5.jpg
class="gc-images" title="skim 5.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
37828=2295-skim 6.jpg
>
37828=2295-skim 6.jpg
class="gc-images" title="skim 6.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
37828=2296-skim 7.jpg
>
37828=2296-skim 7.jpg
class="gc-images" title="skim 7.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
37828=2297-skim 8.jpg
>
37828=2297-skim 8.jpg
class="gc-images" title="skim 8.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Looks like your intake isn't sucking any air down the tube attached to the pump's intake.

Check that tube and make sure it's not clogged.

I had a coralife for awile and always had problems keeping the water level right, over filled cup or not enought to skim. You have to give new skimmers time to break-in you can try giving it a vinagar bath to help it or just wait . The water level is only ajusted by the red valve and the water level in your sump. If there are no bubbles in the skimmer you may need to check your pump for flow, try restarting the pump a few times.

well i have tried starting it a few times, ill check the line to see if there is a clog , but i dont think there is - thanks for the replies

George hit it on the noise there. after you make sure it is not clogged then play with the red valve. It going to take some time and work to get that skimmer wo work right. Once you got everything right it will be a great skimmer.

When you disconnect the pump and run it is not connected to the skimmer do you get a ton of bubbles from it?

I don't want to step on any toes, but that skimmer is at the high end only good for a 50g and I probably wouldn't run it on that. The manufactorer rating which is usually grossly over-rated is only 65g. I like ESU/Coralife products, but this skimmer is really too small for your system. Maybe the 125 or the 220, but I probably would go with a skimmer that is oversized for a system.

I'll throw in completely with Cameron. There has never, ever been a skimmer manufacturer that has acurately underratted their skimmer that I've ever seen.

There may be a couple, but they're far and few between and it isn't by much. No manufacturer wants to put out a system that's over priced for what it seems to cover.

might it possibly have anything to do with your water level in your sump being so low?

ok i disconected that little clear line "air" and held the air intake just above the water and it worked great , but when i hook the air line back up it still does not work ??

glx , i have the water level like 4 inches and it is to the little sticker that says water level

your airline are clogged or close. Without air there will be no bubble

how do i unclog the air line, it seems to be clogged in the little canister ? her is a pic
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
37871=2299-air thing.jpg
>
37871=2299-air thing.jpg
class="gc-images" title="air thing.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
37871=2300-me smokin.jpg
>
37871=2300-me smokin.jpg
class="gc-images" title="me smokin.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

TAKE OFF THE CANISTER ITS JUST A SILENCER,IMO YOU DONT NEED IT AS THE SKIMMER IS NOT THAT LOUD. ONCE YOU GET THIS FIXED AND ADJUSTED IT SHOULD WORK GREAT,MINE PULLS A CUP OF ALMOST BLACK GUNK EVERYDAY WITH NO PROBLEMS:yuk:

that canister is the noise reduces.

look like it is not working. you can remove the airline from that canister. Give it a good pull..

if you just brought that skimmer then see if you can exchange it for a higher rated supperskimmer. Anyhow that noise reduces need to be replace. However that canister does nothing for the skimmer itself

dude junky you are exctly right that is what it was, i took off the canister and it works great, so i guess like you said the only purpose of the canister is to silence?? Ok now that it is working good where do i want my water level to be at ?

I Set Mine In The Middle Of The Collection Cup ,it Took Me At Least 5 Hours To Get It Where I Wanted It. Did Your Frags I Gave You Open Up Yet? I Hope You Like Them

noise is not to bad , i got all the frags in place but my lights are off , i did that toothpick and rubberband thing for the tree. Seems to work ok - so i am guessing the tree will attach it self to the rock eventually and if so if i pull the toothpick out hopefully it wont pull the tree from the rock ? Once my light come on in the morning i am sure they will open up. Did you get that anemone in place ? If so how does it look - its used to having a clown in there so he will be accepting. Thnaks again the frags rock

Back