Please identify these for me

donniea1800

Market
Reaction score
Hello. Can anyone tell me what these are? They are growing and bothering my corals. How to get rid of them?

Here is the picture.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
977464=55710-20140811_103844-1.jpg
>
977464=55710-20140811_103844-1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="20140811_103844-1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Ok I googled majano anemone. That is definitely what they are. So how do I get rid of them?

If there attached to a rock and the rock is easily removable, I'd toss the rock.

Agreed. If they're only on one rock, remove that rock. Do keep an eye out for more though, they are prolific little boogers.

Aiptasia X works well to kill them. It's a painstaking task and you'll probably need to do it several times to get rid of them.

Unfortunately their only natural predators will tend to eat your corals too (ie Raccoon Butterflyfish if your tank is large enough), so the best bet is manual removal.

Jenn

The couple that I encountered in my tank were easily persuaded to close up and then gently pried off the rock with a thumbnail. I was lucky in that they'd walked onto a relatively smooth section - if they've got their foot securely in a crevice then I'd suggest going the Aiptasia-X route.

EDIT - if they're the ones with a green body & pink tips I'd be interested in them if you can get them out. Have a pico tank at work that's coral-free and unheated, so tough-as-nails stuff's welcome.

Back