Please post pics of Custom Overflows

jetchris

Market
Reaction score
I am getting ready to setup a new reef tank. I want to buy it not RR because I hate the look of the overflows. I am wanting to drill it myself and build a custom overflow, but am unsure how to do it. Any pics or advice on how to do this will greatly help. Also anyone have any advice on a "coast to coast," overflow?

Thanks,
Chris

You've seen mine right? Home made overflow box welded on the outside of the back wall, and slits cut directly into the back wall. I like that you're going for this type of overflow, its a very clean look. You have excellent taste :).

Come around next week and see my new 199 teeth Anythony Calfo overflow.

Its absolutely awesome. Tim and Andy I owe you lots.

http://atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6462">http://atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6462</a>

Its hard to see, which is good, but you can see the bottom of the slits in the upper right of the last picture.

Jin, your overflow box would be ideal, but i think it would be to hard to make an external overflow box? Its gonna be a glass tank so slits in the glass would not work. Simon thanks ill stop by sometime in the next week or 2 , ill call before i come over. here is a pic of one overflow i was thinking about - please tell me what you think.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
71776=4642-P7100396.jpg
>
71776=4642-P7100396.jpg
class="gc-images" title="P7100396.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
71776=4643-Picture046.jpg
>
71776=4643-Picture046.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Picture046.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

<span style="font-family: Tahoma;">Have you looked at the overflow page at glasscages? I think the horizontal ones are what you are looking for.</span>
<span style="font-family: Tahoma;">

heres mine on my old tank,,,, custom made by me, to save space....

showthread.php

thanks hanin and slayer, what do you think about the pic i posted, I have never seen that done before and looks like it would work

You know if you got a HOB and then just modified the skimmer part you could do the same thing that slayer77 did.

Here is the best picture I can find of mine on my frag tank. It is a 1 3/4" bulkhead with a 1 1/4" pipe with 1/2" slits cut in the top. It is about 8" long and caped off at the end. I use a ball valve right (in the mirror on far left)after it comes out of the bulkhead to control the drain (haven't ever had to adjust it). it's not noisy, but sometimes can slightly gurgle. Hope this helps!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
71819=4647-IMG_7137.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
71819=4647-IMG_7137.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_7137.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

<span style="font-family: Tahoma;">Chris, The picture you have posted looks interesting. I would be interested to know myself how it works. It looks like a very easy and inexpensive contraption to make. I would definitely build it and experiment. I would paint it black though&#8230;</span>

haninja;71820 wrote: <span style="font-family: Tahoma;">Chris, The picture you have posted looks interesting. I would be interested to know myself how it works. It looks like a very easy and inexpensive contraption to make. I would definitely build it and experiment. I would paint it black though…</span>

I would also make it with teeth/slits.

wbholwell;71822 wrote: .

I would also make it with teeth/slits.

Dito...would give a lot more surface skimming and could keep the inhabitants from taking a water slide to the sump!

I had to go back and look at the one Chris posted again and if you used the correct equipment and clamps you could cut slots in the cross piece instead of one long trough that would help with things getting in it.

I have a 6ft long one on the back of my ten foot long tank. They just notched the back with 2 long "slits" and then put eggcrate over it.

fullback.jpg
alt="" />

fullback.jpg
alt="" />

These are when I first set it up last summer.

Here's what it looks like from the front now

fulltank.jpg
alt="" />

Now I was to lazy to scrape the corraline from it (since I can't get the magnet up there) but when you clean the glass there you barely notice it and obviously if I just let the coralline grow you wouldn't notice it at all but I like the clean look!

uhh kwl that has to be one of the most amazing setups i have ever seen 10 FOOT LONG!!!! Thats unreal!! thanks also for the pics. I would have no way of cutting glass to make one like yours - but IMO that would be the ideal setup.

Back