Please!!??

SaltwaterPhoenix

Supporting
Reaction score
Can someone just bring me about 50 gallons of pre-mixed saltwater?!

Or whats the best way to do it myself other than a whole mixing station?

I have my RODI unit. My tank is ~40g + ~15g sump. But I don't anticipate ever doing more than a 20g water change and I don't really want to get 55gal containers for only the initial setup. I would never store that much water, I don't think...

(Upgrading from an Evo, so its all new to me! I've always just bought my water from the LFS...)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

All you really need for 55gal total gal is about 5gal (10%) water change weekly (if u plan on weekly water changes). Mixing station makes the work easy but it is definitely not a necessity. Get a 5gal bucket and mix your salt with your RODI the night before and voila you got yourself a freshly mixed saltwater for your water change. You don't necessary need 50gal water unless you plan on doing % water change .

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

32 gallon brute trashcan from home depot. Preferably with the wheels.

Or the black storage totes with yellow lids from home depot - these come in many sizes.

Can someone just bring me about 50 gallons of pre-mixed saltwater?!

Or whats the best way to do it myself other than a whole mixing station?

I have my RODI unit. My tank is ~40g + ~15g sump. But I don't anticipate ever doing more than a 20g water change and I don't really want to get 55gal containers for only the initial setup. I would never store that much water, I don't think...

(Upgrading from an Evo, so its all new to me! I've always just bought my water from the LFS...)

50G of water is not an easy task to haul.

If you have an RODI unit, just mix the salt in the tank since it's a fresh tank. That's what I did in my last 60, 150, 120, my current 54 frag, and will do in my future 187. Never had an issue

If you have an RODI unit, just mix the salt in the tank since it's a fresh tank. That's what I did in my last 60, 150, 120, my current 54 frag, and will do in my future 187. Never had an issue
I would only do this with a completely empty tank - no rocks, no sand etc. Maybe not necessary - but would be the way I would do it if I was mixing in tank

The garbage cans and totes are great ideas. If you don’t want to buy anything additional, Fill the tank with RO water first. Turn off the return pump to the tank and mix half the bag in the sump with a power head until completely dissolved. Turn on return pump and repeat process until you get the desired salinity level.

All you really need for 55gal total gal is about 5gal (10%) water change weekly (if u plan on weekly water changes). Mixing station makes the work easy but it is definitely not a necessity. Get a 5gal bucket and mix your salt with your RODI the night before and voila you got yourself a freshly mixed saltwater for your water change. You don't necessary need 50gal water unless you plan on doing % water change .

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
But I have to fill up my tank. Its empty now. I'm not worried about future WCs.

The garbage cans and totes are great ideas. If you don’t want to buy anything additional, Fill the tank with RO water first. Turn off the return pump to the tank and mix half the bag in the sump with a power head until completely dissolved. Turn on return pump and repeat process until you get the desired salinity level.
Never would have tight of this... Thanks!!

Didn't think this was an option... awesome! Thanks!

I would only do this with a completely empty tank - no rocks, no sand etc. Maybe not necessary - but would be the way I would do it if I was mixing in tank
It is completely empty at the moment... but why no and it rocks? Harder to evenly mix?

If you mix it in the sump slowly you can have the rock and sand in the tank. Any amounts that don’t dissolve will be negligible. I’ve mixed it with rock and sand in the tank many times (dozens of tanks) and never had any issues. I use instant ocean to cycle tanks and it dissolves quite well.

I literally use three 32g Brute cans in my kitchen (where my RoDi unit is) and wheel them to my living room for waterchanges and whatnot. One 32g would be fine for you. One can is RODI to be mixed, one is already mixed (I keep a batch in case of emergency water changes) and one is for water taken out of the tank. They're relatively cheap, and you can get wheels for them as well.

Back