Plugging a bulkhead hole?

giulianom

Market
Reaction score
I've got this issue with my acrylic tank, where the holes for the return bulkheads are the wrong size.

I originally planned for 1.25" bulkheads, but the holes are slightly too small for the bulkheads - that I could fix with a drum sander and a power drill...

However, that's not the problem.

I really should have gone with 1" bulkheads instead, but the hole is slightly too large.

Holes for 1.25" bulkheads are supposed to be 2-5/16" (2.3125"), but the hole currently measures around 2-9/32" (2.28") - totally my mistake, wrong dimensions given.

Holes for 1" bulkheads are supposed to be 1-7/8" (1.875").

The difference in diameter is about 13/32" (0.4")...

I have some 3/4" acrylic left over that I could use to drill out some plugs to glue in - however I'd have to cut them oversize and sand/file them down on the drill press to fit.

Or maybe I should just get MRC to make me some plug rings to size down the hole....

I have some 1.25" bulkheads that take a 2.25" hole. I have I think 3 of them.

Black Polypro
EPDM seal
Double sided threads

bulkhead.jpg
alt="" />
1002011732a.jpg
alt="" />

Yeah, I thought about that - using 1.25" bulkheads with reducers.

Rather go with straight 1" bulkheads, since the pipe will be 1".

<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">The only options you have is like you said plug weld it but I would not trust it. I take it that it&#8217;s acrylic. You could place a larger piece over it and use Weldon 4 then on the inside of the hole use Weldon 16 in the 90* angle part of the hole and then another flat piece on the out side. It will not LQQk all that good. </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">Or you can use the 1.25 bulkheads and use male adapters and solvent weld 1.25 to 1 reducer&#8217;s then run your pipe. Or you could just screw a plug in it or you could plumb in a CL.</span></span>

Yes, it's acrylic.

The diameter of the bulkhead's gasket is larger than the existing hole, but not by much.

I could probably reinforce it with some acrylic disks front and back, may not be so noticable.

I'm visiting MRC on Monday, I'll ask what they recommend.

Take a block of wood and drill the correct size hole in it for the 1.25" bulkhead then place that over the hole in the tank and use the block as a guide to drill the hole out. Really easy to do.Then use a bushing or reducer. No way would I patch it.

grouper therapy;731564 wrote: Take a block of wood and drill the correct size hole in it for the 1.25" bulkhead then place that over the hole in the tank and use the block as a guide to drill the hole out. Really easy to do.Then use a bushing or reducer. No way would I patch it.

Actually, that was what I was originally thinking of doing.

Now I just have to find where I left those 1.25" bulkheads...

Back