Plumbing 2 sumps together??

mockery

Market
Reaction score
Ok so I have a stock tank that I want to plumb into the my system. Catch is that they are two different heights. So what do I need to do to plumb them together?? Here is what i'm thinking and please correct me if I'm wrong.

1 drill the sump on the side and put an over flow box that drains to the stock tank
2 drill the flat piece of the stock tank for the return and use return pipe in that display.

Questions I have. Where will the water level change?? I've been trying to think and for the life of me can't figure it out.

Thanks for the advise

Colin

Yes it will work and the level (evaporation} will be affected where the return pump pulls water from , the stock tank.

grouper therapy;419394 wrote: Yes it will work and the level (evaporation} will be affected where the return pump pulls water from , the stock tank.

Dave why is that?? I guess I will have to make a second overflow so that the salinity won't swing greatly.

Colin, a picture would help, but from what you describe, if the sump is higher then just drill it a couple inches from the top, put a strainer on it and let it gravity flow to the stock tank. It will stay at the level of the strainer and the evaporation would come from the stock tank as others have said.

If you are using the sump as a refugium then I'd split the overflow and put a gate valve before the sump/refugium and let the rest go directly to the stock tank.

Bud helped me set up my 55G refugium as described above as well. My display tank overflow splits to my sump and my refugium which we raised up to be slightly higher than the 55G sump. It overflows now in to the sump.

I'll get a picture of it in a little. I'm thinking of doing a DSB in one of the sump chambers. Have not really thought more about it.

I dont know if this will help or not...but I tied two 70 gallon rubbermaids together for a sump. This is the wall behind my display and as you can see the rubbermaids are identical height. The water in the left tank is the only one that needs to be topped off and regulated.

I have a 58 gallon RR I am going to plumb above it for a fuge as well.

Hope this helps.

719204873_boBzF-L.jpg
alt="" />

Colin, I'm sure we can figure out a good way to set this up... when you have the Westsiders over for pool, we can get it done.

You did know you were having that gathering, right? Or did we forget to let you know? :D

mockery1982
>http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc246/mockery1982/?action=view&current=photo.jpg</a>

picture of the sump and tank I want to plumb together.

I'd split the overflow so part goes into the top tank and the rest to the bottom one. Drill a hole for a 1" bulkhead in the top tank at the level you want to keep that tank at and run the overflow to the bottom tank. That style of rubbermaid will bow a lot when it is full so if you are going to use that I'd tape all around the sides with duct tape while it is empty to reinforce it. It would be better if you got one of the hard plastic stock tanks but what you have will work. If that is a basement floor, I'd raise it up a couple of inches to help with temperature especially in the winter.

Bud that is the wrong picture. Here is a better one. It is hard black plastic.

photo-1.jpg
alt="" />

Colin,

I am w Barry here - would take us maybe 3 hours to get it all hooked up, and that includes 2 hours of pool. LOL

LilRobb;420091 wrote: Colin,

I am w Barry here - would take us maybe 3 hours to get it all hooked up, and that includes 2 hours of pool. LOL

Well then ya'll free tomorrow??

Once class is over for the semester be ready for my call.

Back