Plumbing a fuge?

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
Ok..I have a refug that has been set up for over 5 years and after I rid it of bubble algae I need to hook it up to my 160 system. I can plumb it in no problem but where should I plumb it in at to get the most out of the nutrient export and adding copeds/pods back into the display. Its a 30GAL Acrylic sump that basically has a huge fuge section.

Options:
1. Plumb it into the sump, low flow, easier, more asthetically appealing.
2. Plumb it so it flows directly into the display, more flow, more difficult and less asthetically appealing

Ive got mine going into the sump as well. I dont know if this is the best way i just kinda follwed the trend on that one.

Mines plumbed into the return in the sump also. I can tell when pods are flowing the chromis swim right at the return for a buffet.

Ideally, you'd want the return to go right to the tank. The pods and other life can possibly get destroyed by the centrifugal pumps we use. But that is up for debate. However, for conveneince and aesthetics, most plumb it in the sump.

Thanks everyone for the advice. After looking at everything last night I think my only choice will be to plumb it into the sump with a low flow pump. I might place the fuge higher than my sump so it just gravity feeds back into the sump. What is everyone opinion on coped & pods being pushed through a pump? I am sure some wil survive but I wonder if there is a better way! Here is a picture of the fuge.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
98246=6111-IMG_7914.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
98246=6111-IMG_7914.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_7914.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I mean, they are going to get eaten if they make it up to the display anyways, so whats the worry if they are sliced for easier consumption? lol. Besides there is more than enough pod life in that sand I gave you ;)

glxtrix;98255 wrote: I mean, they are going to get eaten if they make it up to the display anyways, so whats the worry if they are sliced for easier consumption? lol. Besides there is more than enough pod life in that sand I gave you ;)

Lee...you weren't kidding the fuge sand was full of life. I know my fish would rather have live food running around than one's put through a La-Chef food processor! The only way to not use a pump would be to mount the fuge hight than the display and I don't think thats goign to happen!

yeah theres no need for that. Heh yeah there were countless nights I'd be up and just staring at the fuge looking at all the life in there. I packed that thing right.

I have my refugium going directly to the return pump as well. Since your refugium will be a separate entity, you can directly how fast of the flow you want going to the refugium. I dont' really rely on the refugium for my copepods or other critters due to the main reason I can't catch them. I mainly rely on the biological filtration of the system and the macro algea growing there.

flyingarmy;98246 wrote: Thanks everyone for the advice. After looking at everything last night I think my only choice will be to plumb it into the sump with a low flow pump. I might place the fuge higher than my sump so it just gravity feeds back into the sump. What is everyone opinion on coped & pods being pushed through a pump? I am sure some wil survive but I wonder if there is a better way! Here is a picture of the fuge.

The only other options would be to have the fuge gravity feed the tank, or to have a non-centrifugal pump feed the tank (ie-screw pump). Both of these options are excessive in my opinion. In my opinion, pods, mysids, worms, and even small starts can go through a pump with minimal damage and feed your tank. Someone did a study with artemia and centrifugal pumps, and made a rather argfued deduction that the were a death trap for micro-life. However, in this study, he had a close system of artemia and put a pump into the system. So over time, of course it just chopped up everything. However, in our systems, each animals would likely only pass through once in their lifetime. From fuge to tank for life or consumption.

I have mine plumbed from an overflow that splits at a tee. Three 10 gallon tanks under the stand.

1 pipe with valve to the sump/skimmer tank - high flow.

1 pipe with valve to fuge yank - low flow.

Return tank is in the middle with both waters mixing and back to the display.

Of course I have no clue what the hell I'm doing.

Back