plumbing a manifold

johnmackay70

Supporting
Reaction score
As part of my plans, I have an external pump that I plan to use for multiple purposes.

1. return from sump to DT
2. feeding my skimmer
3. feeding my fuge
4. at least one "open" for future needs.

Is it just a matter of putting inline Ts with a valve on each T, or is there more to it?

That's about it. I added a (3) valve mainfold to my system that feeds my GFO, Carbon and UV.

This picture was taken prior to the units being attached.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
714909=34051-Plumbing01.jpg
>
714909=34051-Plumbing01.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Plumbing01.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

grouper therapy;714931 wrote: No harm in adding a couple extra if you have the room.
If only I had more room I would have added another 3 at least! :thumbs: I suppose I could come up with something if the future needs arise.

The only downside I always forsee to this set up (even tho i do it myself) is when you put the system on feed mode (assuming you have a controller or turn the return pumps off), you blast water back into the reactors thus pumping alot of junk into the system. Just my two cents....

gmpolan, I guess I don't understand what you mean by this, why would water get blasted back into the reactors when you turn off the pump?

BTW, I do not have a controller, nor plan on one for some time. I also do not have any reactors (yet) these may be added later.

Grouper, I was going to have just 1 exstra to begin with, but I was planning havin the end of the manifold capped, so I can cut off the cap and add more later if needed

I mean when the pumps kick back on, they tend push alot of water initially through the reactors thus stirring them up but will settle shortly there after.

I use a filter sock on the outlets of the reactors to keep the "junk" out of the sump.

gmpolan;715022 wrote: I mean when the pumps kick back on, they tend push alot of water initially through the reactors thus stirring them up but will settle shortly there after.
Pacing a smaller valve at the entrance of the reactor will help with that issue. Set the flow rate at the manifold close to the desired flow then fine tune with the pre reactor valve.

Ok, that makes sense, definately something to keep in mind when I finally have a need for...and can talk my wife into getting reactors :D, but I dont even have a running system yet, so it will be a while

gmpolan;715022 wrote: I mean when the pumps kick back on, they tend push alot of water initially through the reactors thus stirring them up but will settle shortly there after.

How did you choose which size valves to use on the manifold? I am setting mine up now and have a few 1/2" and 3/4" ball valves. Dont know what size hose is common for reactors.

I believe most reactors use 1/2", but I plumbed my manifold using 3/4" valves and reduce to 1/2" if needed. It keeps my options open. I use these valves at the manifold and use the BRS ball valve for adjusting the actual waterflow to the reactors.

While a little pricier.. i wish I had added flow meters to mine, but thats just fancy stuff.

I have not built mine yet (promised my wife to get the basement finished/drywall done) before I start working on my reef system)...

That being said, I was told the best thing to do is to keep all the valves the same size as your return plumbing, if you need to add something later that is a different size, you can always add a reducer

Back